[Nfbnet-members-list] White Cane Awareness Day: teach the world about what the white cane means to blind people

Adler, Anna AAdler at nfb.org
Wed Oct 4 00:38:34 UTC 2017

White Cane Awareness Day: teach the world about what the white cane
means to blind people
The National Federation of the Blind will be celebrating White Cane
Awareness Day on Sunday, October 15. This day is an opportunity to
share how the white cane makes it possible to be an active and
independent blind person and break down misconceptions about blindness.
This year, we are using the excitement around this special day to
raise funds to support our programs. Please support this via social
media with the #WhiteCaneGiving hashtag.
Join the nationwide celebration by engaging your own community and
sharing how the white cane leads to independence. Here are some
things you can do:
    * Post the following language on your affiliate's website with a
link to <http://www.nfb.org/donate2017>the giving page:

White canes help blind people live the lives we want. The white cane
does more than tell the sighted that we're blind; it is a tool for
freedom and self-determination because it allows blind people to come
and go on our own. Since we can travel safely and independently, we
can contribute in the workplace, in our communities, and in society.
<file:///C:\Users\Stephanie%20Eller\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary%20Internet%20Files\Content.Outlook\A9SNU9SA\nfb.org\donate2017>Celebrate
White Cane Awareness Day on October 15 by giving the gift of independence.

    * Subscribe to the
<https://www.youtube.com/user/NationsBlind>NFB's YouTube channel and
share the new uploads. A new educational video about how we use our
canes will be posted soon.
    * Ask your mayor or governor to sign the White Cane Awareness Day
Proclamation found on our <http://nfb.org/white-cane-awareness-day>website.
    * Demonstrate how you use your cane at your next community
meeting, senior event, or school show-and-tell.  Our
<https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-celebrates-white-cane-awareness-day>recent
blog post has other ideas.
    * Tweet what your white cane means to you with the hashtag
#WhiteCaneGiving or use some of the sample tweets below:
        * Your support can help blind people live the lives we want.
Donate today! nfb.org/donate2017 #WhiteCaneGiving
        * We send free white canes to those who need them. A $50 gift
could give mobility to a blind person #WhiteCaneGiving
<http://www.nfb.org/donate2017>www.nfb.org/donate2017
        * October 15 we're celebrating #WhiteCaneAwarenessDay, a day
to emphasize the role the white cane plays in living the lives we want
Useful links
Donation page: www.nfb.org/donate2017
White Cane Awareness Day page:
<http://www.nfb.org/white-cane-awareness-day>www.nfb.org/white-cane-awareness-day
NFB YouTube channel:
<http://www.youtube.com/user/NationsBlind>www.youtube.com/user/NationsBlind
If you have questions, events to share, or need more information,
reach out to <mailto:communicationsteam at nfb.org>communicationsteam at nfb.org.

Anna W. Adler
Outreach Coordinator
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2282| <mailto:AAdler at nfb.org>AAdler at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/>
National Federation of the Blind

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
Facebook
     <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>
Twitter
     <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>
Youtube

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind.
Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.