[Nfbnet-members-list] share your independence -

Chang, Patti PChang at nfb.org
Sun Nov 26 17:15:13 UTC 2017

Dear Federationists:

You know that the National Federation of the
Blind has a tremendous impact on the lives of
blind people of all ages­maybe you have
benefitted from our advocacy and philosophy. If
you missed #WhiteCaneGiving day, we hope you will
give what you can on #GivingTuesday. Your
contribution will support the NFB’s programs
dedicated to raising expectations for the next generation of blind Americans.

We want to share a few instances from 2017 of how
we helped young blind people to become
independent adults who live the lives they want.

One of our scholarship recipients wrote:

"When I lost my sight I dreamed of being
confident, and I dreamed of being independent and
successful. I dreamed of being able to go back to
work and go to school. Thank you to the National
Federation of the Blind for helping me to make my dreams a reality!"

A teen who attended YouthSlam for the first time said:

“Expectations for blind people are really low.
This program {YouthSlam} showed us all that there
is a way to do things we never thought we could
do. I always thought STEM seemed kind of
impossible, but there are tools, techniques, and
there is a way to integrate into the real world.”

A mother whose daughter attends BELL Academy said:

“In our area, certified Braille teachers are hard
to find. NFB BELL Academy helped my daughter
expand her horizons with Braille and math as
well. The biggest thing for me is the impact BELL
offers socially. BELL offers, not only education
in essential skills that they need for learning
and daily living, but empowerment as well. My
daughter’s self-esteem is boosted every year.”

<nfb.htm>Your contribution will help fund things
like free Braille books, STEM enrichment
programs, free white canes, and scholarships.
Help us continue to share the gifts of
confidence, literacy, education, independence, and so much more.

Please do what you can to contribute on #GivingTuesday by:

1.    Visiting our donate page at
<https://nfb.org/donate>https://nfb.org/donate2017
2.    Mailing your contribution to
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
3.    Donating in honor of a friend or loved one.

Patti S. Chang Esq.
Director of Outreach
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2422 | pchang at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/>
National Federation of the Blind

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
Facebook
     <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>
Twitter
     <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>
Youtube

The National Federation of the Blind is a
community of members and friends who believe in
the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.