[Nfbnet-members-list] NFB Legislative Alert

Pare, John JPare at nfb.org
Thu May 18 22:15:51 UTC 2017

Dear Fellow Federationists:

We are making great progress on all of our
legislative issues. We are up to seventeen
cosponsors on AIM HIGH, H.R. 1772, five
cosponsors on the Access Technology Affordability
Act, H.R. 1734, and seven cosponsors on the TIME
Act, H.R. 1377. In the Senate, the Access
Technology Affordability Act, S. 732, has one cosponsor.

Congress will be in session all next week before
taking their one-week Memorial Day recess. Please
contact your representative and ask them to
cosponsor H.R. 1772, H.R. 1734, and H.R. 1377.
Please also call your two senators and ask them to cosponsor S. 732.

A short summary of each bill is included below. I
have also included a list of all the current cosponsors.

The best way to contact your member of Congress
is to call the Capitol Switchboard at (202)
224-3121 and ask for the office in question.
Emailing your member of Congress is also a good
idea. If you do so, please copy <mailto:JPare at nfb.org>JPare at nfb.org.

You may also want to request a meeting with your
member of Congress while they are back in the
district during the week of Memorial Day.

Thanks for all you do!

Warm regards,

John

Bill Summaries

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM HIGH)

This bill will promote instructional technology
and content that are accessible to the blind and
other students with print disabilities.
<nfb.htm>Read the AIM HIGH fact sheet to learn more.

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA)
These bills will facilitate the purchase of
access technology for blind people by creating a
refundable, per person tax credit.
<https://nfb.org/access-technology-affordability-act>Read
the Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017 fact sheet to learn more.

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful
Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377 (TIME)
This bill will increase employment opportunities
by removing stigmas and low expectations
propagated by section 14(c) of the Fair Labor
Standards Act. Note that the bill now phases out
subminimum wages over a six year period
corresponding to the recommendation of the
National Council on Disability.
<https://nfb.org/timefactsheet>Read the TIME Act fact sheet to learn more.

Current Cosponsors Listed Alphabetically By State

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher
Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM HIGH)

Rep. Roe, David P. [R-TN-1] - Sponsor

Rep. Young, Don [R-AK-At Large]

Rep. Garamendi, John [D-CA-3]

Rep. Courtney, Joe [D-CT-2]

Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]

Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]

Rep. Kinzinger, Adam [R-IL-16]

Rep. Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL-8]

Rep. Brooks, Susan W. [R-IN-5]

Rep. McGovern, James P. [D-MA-2]

Rep. Kildee, Daniel T. [D-MI-5]

Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3]

Rep. Thompson, Bennie G. [D-MS-2]

Rep. Stefanik, Elise M. [R-NY-21]

Rep. Price, David E. [D-NC-4]

Rep. Thompson, Glenn [R-PA-5]

Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]

Rep. Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [R-WI-5]

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA)

Rep. Young, David [R-IA-3] - Sponsor

Rep. Roybal-Allard, Lucille [D-CA-40]

Rep. Bilirakis, Gus M. [R-FL-12]

Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]

Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6]

Rep. Smucker, Lloyd [R-PA-16]

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful
Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377 (TIME)

Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3] – Sponsor

Rep. Calvert, Ken [R-CA-42]

Rep. Swalwell, Eric [D-CA-15]

Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9]

Rep. Pingree, Chellie [D-ME-1]

Rep. Lujan Grisham, Michelle [D-NM-1]

Rep. Kaptur, Marcy [D-OH-9]
Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]

John G. Paré Jr.
Executive Director for Advocacy and Policy
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2218 | <mailto:jpare at nfb.org>jpare at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/>
National Federation of the Blind

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
Facebook
     <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>
Twitter
     <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>
Youtube

The National Federation of the Blind is a
community of members and friends who believe in
the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.