[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Comments on US Supreme Court Decision Regarding Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Fri Mar 24 00:55:22 UTC 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Comments on
United States Supreme Court Decision Regarding
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Baltimore (March 23, 2017): The National
Federation of the Blind today applauded the
unanimous decision of the United States Supreme
Court in Endrew F. v. Douglas County School District, (Docket No. 15–827).

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “While we would
have preferred an even stronger ruling, this
decision clearly represents a shift from the
paradigm of low expectations that has led to
frustration and failure for so many blind
students and their families. I know the
frustration with this paradigm all too well
myself, as both a blind person and a parent of
blind children. The National Federation of the
Blind knows that one of the biggest hurdles that
students with disabilities confront is the low
expectations too often set for them by
well-meaning but misguided professionals in the
education field. The Supreme Court of the United
States has now affirmed that the blind and other
students with disabilities can, and should, be
expected to meet challenges and advance
academically. The National Federation of the
Blind stands ready to collaborate with
educational administrators, teachers and parents
of blind students to ensure that all blind
students receive the kind of free appropriate
public education that the IDEA and the Supreme
Court's new interpretation of it require. At the
same time, we will continue to hold school
systems accountable when they fail to meet these requirements.”

In delivering the unanimous opinion of the High
Court, United States Chief Justice John G.
Roberts Jr. wrote in part: “The goals may differ,
but every child should have the chance to meet
challenging objectives. This standard is more
demanding than the ‘merely more than de minimis’
test applied by the Tenth Circuit.
 When all is
said and done, a student offered an educational
program providing 'merely more than de minimis'
progress from year to year can hardly be said to
have been offered an education at all."

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7622&qid=1753342>
Facebook Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7623&qid=1753342>
Twitter Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7624&qid=1753342>
Instagram Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7625&qid=1753342>
YouTube Logo

<mailto:nfb at nfb.org>
Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7626&qid=1753342>
Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells
Street | Baltimore, MD 21230 | (410) 659-9314
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=6013&qid=1753342&h=9219a690d1213004>Unsubscribe

<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=6013&qid=1753342&h=9219a690d1213004>Opt
Out |