[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Supports Blind Healthcare Worker's Discrimination Claim

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Mon Mar 13 22:34:31 UTC 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Supports Blind
Healthcare Worker's Discrimination Claim

Blind Man Unable to Perform his Job Due to Inaccessible Software

Boston (March 13, 2017): With the assistance of
the National Federation of the Blind, the
nation's leading advocate for the civil rights of
blind people, Manuel G. Morse has brought suit in
Suffolk County Superior Court (Docket No.
1784CV00773) against his employer, Brigham and
Women's Hospital, Inc. (BWH); its corporate
parent, Partners Healthcare Systems, Inc.; and
Epic Systems Corporation, a maker of software
used at BWH and throughout the healthcare
industry. Mr. Morse's lawsuit alleges that he is
unable to do his job as a hospital dispatcher
because Epic's software is not compatible with
the text-to-speech screen reading technology that
he uses on his workplace computer, and that his
employer and Epic are aware of the problem but
have refused to take all appropriate steps to
remedy it. Mr. Morse has been on indefinite paid
leave since May of 2015 because of this issue.
His lawsuit alleges violations of Mass. Gen. Laws
ch. 151B, § 4, and the Massachusetts Equal Rights Act (MERA).

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: "While
improvements to workplace technology can benefit
all workers, including the blind, if they are
properly designed and implemented, inaccessible
technology can and does threaten the ability of
blind people to obtain and maintain employment.
The problem is universal but is particularly
vexing in the healthcare sector, where one of the
defendants in this lawsuit is a leading provider
of software being used in healthcare facilities.
The National Federation of the Blind is willing
to work with any technology vendor or employer
who wishes to ensure that its technology can be
used by everyone. At the same time, we cannot and
will not tolerate unnecessarily sidelining a
skilled healthcare worker who is unable to do his
job because of a problem he did not create and
was completely avoidable. We will fight for Mr.
Morse and for other blind people who find
themselves in this untenable situation."

Mr. Morse said: "Until May 27, 2015, I was a
loyal, dependable, and productive employee of
Brigham and Women's Hospital who loved my job. I
felt that I was helping the hospital staff and
patients and contributing to society at large.
Now I sit at home and wonder if I will be able to
work again. I am being compensated, but money is
not the issue. I feel abandoned by my employer
and as if I have no purpose or value. Since my
own efforts to persuade my employers and Epic to
act have failed, I must rely on the laws and
courts of Massachusetts to help me get back to work."

Mr. Morse is represented, with the support of the
National Federation of the Blind, by Christine M.
Netski of the Boston firm Sugarman, Rogers,
Barshak & Cohen, P.C., and by Daniel F.
Goldstein, Joseph B. Espo, and Albert Elia of the
Baltimore firm Brown, Goldstein & Levy LLP.

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6891&qid=1701761>
Facebook Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6892&qid=1701761>
Twitter Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6893&qid=1701761>
Instagram Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6894&qid=1701761>
YouTube Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6895&qid=1701761>
Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6896&qid=1701761>
Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells
Street | Baltimore, MD 21230 | (410) 659-9314
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=5515&qid=1701761&h=ccaf2766c000a7ec>Unsubscribe

<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=5515&qid=1701761&h=ccaf2766c000a7ec>Opt
Out |
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6897&qid=1701761>Sign