[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: Update on Job Fair

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat Jun 24 05:03:05 UTC 2017

June 23, 2017 Update

Hi Everyone,

I am updating this with a list of employers which is attached to this email. As you can see, we have some great employers, 25 at last count and more coming.  Go to  <https://employment.nfb.org/> https://employment.nfb.org/ to see future updates.  I’m a bit disappointed that we have had only 29 Job Fair pre-registrants so far.  Yes, we really won’t let you into the Job Fair until you register, so why not do it now when it is most convenient?  I am attaching a pre-registration form to this email.  Let’s see if we can get at least 100 pre-registered. See below for more information about registering at the convention.

I just wanted to give all you jobseekers some information that will help you navigate from now through our convention successfully.  First of all, here is a list of the Employment Committee events:

·         Job Seeker Seminar, Monday July 10, 12:30-4:00 pm, Sebastian I-2

·         Etiquette Dinner presented by the Employment Committee, Monday July 10, 5:30 pm, Café Osceola, Rosen Shingle Creek (now full, taking backup registrations only)

·         National Job Fair, Tuesday July 11, 9:30-11:30 am, Panzacola Ballroom F3 and F4

·         NFB Employment Committee Meeting, Thursday July 13, 7:00-9:00 pm, Wekiwa 10

·         Upward Mobility Seminar, Friday July 14, 7:00-9:30 pm, Wekiwa 4

You must pre-register or register to attend the Job Fair this year.  You may pre-register by completing the Pre-registration form under Convention Events at our Employment Committee website, which is  <https://employment.nfb.org/> https://employment.nfb.org/, attaching your resume, and sending it to Suzanne Turner (instructions are on the form).  Pre-registrants are still eligible to get their resumes fixed by the Resume Doctors.  If you want this done, send a note saying you want your resume doctored.  A doctor will get back to you.  Because of the short time frame, we are splitting the resumes between the doctors.  If you want your resume doctored, the deadline is June 30.

The deadline for pre-registration is July 3; after that you will need to register for the Job Fair at the convention. There will be two times you can register for the Job Fair: Monday, July 10 from 12:30 to 4:00 pm outside the Job Seeker Seminar, and Tuesday July 11 from 8:30 to 11:30 outside the Job Fair.  Remember, you must register before you can enter the Job Fair - no exceptions!  See one of my earlier emails for the reason why.  There is no registration needed for any of our other events except for the Etiquette Dinner, which is now full.

The list of Job Fair Employers is at  <https://employment.nfb.org/> https://employment.nfb.org/ under Convention Events. It will be updated at least weekly. Right now we have about 25 employers, and keep adding about one a day. If you are not coming to the Job Fair, please do not contact them until after the convention.  And yes, we are still accepting applications from employers.  If you know of an employer who wants to come, have them contact me at  <mailto:ddavis at blindinc.org> ddavis at blindinc.org, or call me at 612-872-0100, ext. 202.

We recommend that you dress up for all of our events, as there will be employers present at all of them, and you will never get a second chance to make a good first impression.  Last year we had some people show up at the Job Fair looking like they had just come from the pool. That’s a job killer. If anyone shows up inappropriately dressed this year, as in t-shirt and hat, flip-flops, shorts, etc. we will give them the opportunity to go back to their room and dress appropriately.  Remember, your personal appearance reflects on all of us.

If you need additional information, email me at  <mailto:ddavis at blindinc.org> ddavis at blindinc.org or call me at 612-872-0100, ext. 202.

Thank you all,

Dick Davis, Chair

NFB Employment Committee