[Nfbnet-members-list] H.R. 620 Legislative Alert

Pare, John JPare at nfb.org
Thu Jun 15 23:49:01 UTC 2017

Dear Fellow Federationists:

Thank you for all of your calls and emails since
the  June 5th legislative alert. We are now up to
twenty-three cosponsors on AIM HIGH, H.R. 1772,
seven cosponsors on the Access Technology
Affordability Act, H.R. 1734, and eight
cosponsors on the TIME Act, H.R. 1377. In the
Senate, the Access Technology Affordability Act,
S. 732, has one cosponsor. The complete list of
cosponsors is included at the end of this email.

While we still need you to call or email your
member of Congress and urge him or her to
cosponsor each of these bills, we now have a new
ask. H.R. 620, the ADA Education and Reform Act
will be voted on in committee (referred to as
markup) over the next week or two. If passed,
this legislation will dramatically weaken the
ADA, hindering education, employment, and
community participation for all people with
disabilities. The bill prevents people with
disabilities from filing a lawsuit regarding an
ADA violation until the person first notifies the
violator. The violator then has 60 days to
respond and then has another 120 days to remedy
the problem, for a total delay of 180 days.

Does it make sense to wait 180 days for
accessible instructional material? By then, the
class will be over. How about waiting 180 days
for an accessible job application? By then the
job will be filled. How about waiting 180 days at
the doctor’s office for an accessible check in
kiosk? Furthermore, this legislation will do
nothing to stop so called frivolous lawsuits
which will still be valid under state law.
Businesses do not need more time to comply with
the ADA­they have had twenty-seven years already.

Please call your representative and urge them to
oppose H.R. 620, the ADA Education and Reform
Act. And if your Representative has not
cosponsored one of our other three bills, also
urge them to do so. Congress will be back in
session for the next two weeks but please try to
make your calls and send your emails by Friday,
June 22. A short summary of each bill is included
below. I have also included a list of all the
current cosponsors. The best way to contact your
member of Congress is to call the Capitol
Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask for the
office in question. Emailing your member of
Congress is also a good idea. If you do so,
please copy <mailto:JPare at nfb.org>JPare at nfb.org.

It is critical that we shut down H.R. 620. In
addition, we are hoping to significantly raise
the number of cosponsors on all of our bills
before convention but we cannot do it without
everyone working together. Your calls and emails make a big difference.

Thanks for all you do!

Warm regards,

John

John G. Paré Jr.
(410) 659-9314 x 2218
National Federation of the Blind

Bill Summaries

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM HIGH)
This bill will promote instructional technology
and content that are accessible to the blind and
other students with print disabilities.
<nfb.htm>Read the AIM HIGH fact sheet to learn more.

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA)
These bills will facilitate the purchase of
access technology for blind people by creating a
refundable, per person tax credit.
<https://nfb.org/access-technology-affordability-act>Read
the Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017 fact sheet to learn more.

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful
Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377 (TIME)
This bill will increase employment opportunities
by removing stigmas and low expectations
propagated by section 14(c) of the Fair Labor
Standards Act. Note that the bill now phases out
subminimum wages over a six year period
corresponding to the recommendation of the
National Council on Disability.
<https://nfb.org/timefactsheet>Read the TIME Act fact sheet to learn more.

Current cosponsors

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher
Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM HIGH) Current Cosponsors
Rep. Roe, David P. [R-TN-1] - Sponsor
Rep. Young, Don [R-AK-At Large]
Rep. Garamendi, John [D-CA-3]
Rep. Courtney, Joe [D-CT-2]
Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]
Rep. Ross, Dennis A. [R-FL-15]
Rep. Gabbard, Tulsi [D-HI-2]
Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]
Rep. Kinzinger, Adam [R-IL-16]
Rep. Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL-8]
Rep. Brooks, Susan W. [R-IN-5]
Rep. Visclosky, Peter J. [D-IN-1]
Rep. McGovern, James P. [D-MA-2]
Rep. Nolan, Richard M. [D-MN-8]
Rep. Kildee, Daniel T. [D-MI-5]
Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3]
Rep. Thompson, Bennie G. [D-MS-2]
Rep. Amodei, Mark E. [R-NV-2]
Rep. Stefanik, Elise M. [R-NY-21]
Rep. Price, David E. [D-NC-4]
Rep. Thompson, Glenn [R-PA-5]
Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]
Rep. Green, Gene [D-TX-29]
Rep. Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [R-WI-5]

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R.
1734 and S. 732 (ATAA) Current Cosponsors
Rep. Young, David [R-IA-3] - Sponsor
Rep. Roybal-Allard, Lucille [D-CA-40]
Rep. Bilirakis, Gus M. [R-FL-12]
Rep. Lawson, Al, Jr. [D-FL-5]
Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]
Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6]
Rep. Ryan, Tim [D-OH-13]
Rep. Smucker, Lloyd [R-PA-16]

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful
Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377 (TIME) Current Cosponsors
Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3] – Sponsor
Rep. Calvert, Ken [R-CA-42]
Rep. Swalwell, Eric [D-CA-15]
Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]
Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9]
Rep. Pingree, Chellie [D-ME-1]
Rep. Lujan Grisham, Michelle [D-NM-1]
Rep. Kaptur, Marcy [D-OH-9]
Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]