[Nfbnet-members-list] Participate virtually in #nfb17

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Tue Jul 11 02:21:45 UTC 2017

Dear Fellow Federationists:

It would be wonderful if every single member of
the National Federation of the Blind from across
the nation could make it to every single
convention. But work obligations or other life
events sometimes prevent us from making the trip.
The good news is that if you can't make it to
convention this year, there are several ways for
you to participate virtually. Read on to learn how!

Stream the Convention

Portions of the 2017 convention will be streamed
live over the internet. These will include the
access technology seminars scheduled for Monday,
July 10; the Board of Directors meeting beginning
at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, July 12; all of the
general sessions; and the banquet. You can access
the streaming schedule and the links to stream in
your preferred format at
<https://nfb.org/convention/stream>nfb.org/convention/stream.

Please note that you will not hear anything
unless a streamed event is happening. If you're
tuning in at the right time but not hearing
anything, there may be technical difficulties. Be
sure to stand by and also to let us know about your experience.

Join Us through Social Media

For more convention news when the stream isn't
live, or to interact with your fellow
conventioneers while listening, be sure to follow
the #NFB17 hashtag if you're on Twitter and like
the National Federation of the Blind on Facebook.
You can also reach out to us on the Facebook page
or on Twitter @NFB_voice. Use the #NFB17 hashtag
to comment on what's happening at the convention
and share your experience with your Federation family.

We’ll also be using Facebook Live to stream
certain events at the convention. Tune in to
Facebook Thursday morning, July 13, to experience
the convention opening ceremonies. The discussion
portion of the Do You Dream in Color? film
screening will also be streamed on Friday evening, July 14.

Make our Click-to-Give Campaign a Success

This year the convention will feature a
click-to-give campaign that will help raise funds
for all of our important work. During the week of
convention, individuals identified by members
will receive emails inviting them to easily
donate to the National Federation of the Blind.

When the campaign starts we will send an email
inviting all of these individuals to share in the
great things we do every day to help blind people
live the lives they want. Their gift will assist
a newly blinded person with independent travel
through our Free White Cane Program, help a child
to learn to read through our Braille Reading Pals
Program, assist blind veterans to regain their
independence, and so much more. Just provide the
names and email addresses of family, friends,
colleagues, and service providers who you believe
will appreciate the opportunity to support our
work. They'll be able to opt out of the emails
they receive; we won't spam them. To learn more,
visit <https://nfb.org/give2017>nfb.org/give2017.

As you can see, there are plenty of opportunities
to participate in convention events even if you
can't attend in person. Consider having a
"banquet party" with friends and listen to the
convention banquet while enjoying your own formal
dinner, or just ordering pizza. Gather your
fellow Federationists to watch the film Do You
Dream in Color?, and then stream the panel
discussion happening at the convention. Or just
tune in as you're going about your other
activities, and be sure to give us a shout via social media.

Happy #nfb17!

Sincerely,

The National federation of the Blind Communications Team