[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind, Wells Fargo Launch the 2017 Bell Academy Program

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Wed Jan 4 15:13:21 UTC 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACTS:
Chris
Danielsen                                                       Lisa Westermann
Director of Public
Relations                                   VP, Corporate Communications
National Federation of the
Blind                           Wells Fargo & Company
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330                           (415) 222-6236
(410) 262-1281
(Cell)
<mailto:lisa.b.westermann at wellsfargo.com>lisa.b.westermann at wellsfargo.com
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org
@LWestermannWF

National Federation of the Blind, Wells Fargo
Launch the 2017 Bell Academy Program

325 students participated across 30 states and 45 academies in 2016

Baltimore, Maryland (January 4, 2017) ─ Today,
on the birthday of Louis Braille, the inventor of
the reading and writing system for the blind that
bears his name, the<http://www.nfb.org> National
Federation of the Blind (NFB) and
<http://www.wellsfargo.com/>Wells Fargo launched
the 2017 Braille Enrichment for Literacy and
Learning <https://nfb.org/bell-academy>(BELL)
Academy program. The program takes place
throughout the country each summer and provides
blind children initial or advanced Braille
instruction so that they may learn how to use
this powerful reading medium in fun, interactive
ways. In addition to sponsoring the BELL Academy,
Wells Fargo will provide strategic input into the
program and offer team member volunteers at select academies.

Mark A. Riccobono, president of the National
Federation of the Blind, said "The National
Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines children or
their future. Our BELL Academy helps these
children learn the basics of Braille, as well as
meet other blind children and adult mentors. They
engage in activities designed to increase their
independence, allowing them to make friends, gain
support, and start on the road to a future in
which they will live the lives they want. In an
environment where only ten percent of blind
children receive Braille instruction, we deeply
appreciate Wells Fargo’s support of this critical
nationwide effort to increase literacy and raise
expectations for blind children."

This is the second year Wells Fargo is sponsoring
the Bell Academy. In 2016, 325 students
participated in the BELL Academy across 30 states
and 45 academies. To spotlight this 2016 work,
Wells Fargo released a video showcasing the Rhode
Island BELL Academy program:
<https://stories.wf.com/kids-realize-sight-not-essential-success/?cid=adv_-_-_-_1701_104043>https://stories.wf.com/kids-realize-sight-not-essential-success/?cid=adv_-_-_-_1701_104043

Kathy Martinez, head of People with Disabilities
Segment Strategy at Wells Fargo, said "Wells
Fargo is committed to the full inclusion of blind
people and other people with disabilities. The
National Federation of the Blind represents an
integral part of our corporate mission. We are
pleased and proud to support, and promote the
innovative NFB BELL Academy, which teaches
critical life skills to be successful adults."

To learn more about NFB and the BELL Academy,
please visit <https://nfb.org/bell-academy>https://nfb.org/bell-academy.

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.

About Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a
diversified, community-based financial services
company with $1.9 trillion in assets. Founded in
1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells
Fargo provides banking, insurance, investments,
mortgage, and consumer and commercial finance
through more than 8,600 locations, 13,000 ATMs,
the internet (wellsfargo.com) and mobile banking,
and has offices in 42 countries and territories
to support customers who conduct business in the
global economy. With approximately 269,000 team
members, Wells Fargo serves one in three
households in the United States. Wells Fargo &
Company was ranked No. 27 on Fortune’s 2016
rankings of America’s largest corporations. Wells
Fargo’s vision is to satisfy our customers’
financial needs and help them succeed
financially. In 2015, Wells Fargo donated $281.3
million to 16,300 nonprofits, ranking No. 3 on
the Chronicle of Philanthropy’s rankings of the
top corporate cash philanthropists. Wells Fargo
team members volunteered 1.86 million hours in
2015, serving more than 40,000 nonprofits. Wells
Fargo’s corporate social responsibility efforts
are focused on three priorities: economic
empowerment in underserved communities,
environmental sustainability, and advancing
diversity and social inclusion. News, insights
and perspectives from Wells Fargo are also
available at <http://www.wellsfargo.com/stories>Wells Fargo Stories.