[Nfbnet-members-list] Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

Dyer, Marsha MDyer at nfb.org
Fri Feb 3 21:36:33 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues:

Allen Harris, Chairman of the Kenneth Jernigan
Convention Scholarship Fund, asked me to send you
the attached information. Please help spread the
word about this important and beneficial
opportunity available to first-time convention
attendees who are active NFB members.

Thank you,

Marsha Dyer, Secretary
Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

Info below and in attachment:

The 2017 Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

by Allen Harris, Chairman

Have you always wanted to attend an NFB annual
convention but have not done so because of the
lack of funds? The Kenneth Jernigan Convention
Scholarship Fund invites you to make an
application for a scholarship grant. Perhaps this
July you too can be in the Rosen Shingle Creek
Hotel in Orlando, Florida, enjoying the many
pleasures and learning opportunities at the
largest and most important yearly convention of blind people in the world.

The three biggest ticket items you need to cover
when attending an NFB national convention are the
roundtrip transportation, the hotel room for a
week, and the food (which tends to be higher
priced than at home). We attempt to award
additional funds to families, but, whether a
family or an individual is granted a scholarship,
this fund can only help; it won't pay all the
costs. Last year most of the sixty grants were in
the range of $400 to $500 per individual.

We recommend that you find an NFB member as your
personal convention mentor, someone who has been
to many national conventions and is able to share
money-saving tips with you and tips on navigating
the extensive agenda in the big hotel. Your
mentor will help you get the most out of the
amazing experience that is convention week.

Who is eligible?

Active NFB members, blind or sighted, who have
not yet attended an NFB national convention
because of lack of funding, are eligible to apply.

How do I apply for funding assistance?

1. You write a letter giving your contact
information, and your local NFB information, your
specific amount requested, and then explain why
this is a good investment for the NFB. The points to cover are listed below.

2. You contact your state president in person or
by phone to request his or her help in obtaining
funding. Be sure to tell the president when to
expect your request letter by email, and mention the deadline.

3. You (or a friend) send your letter by email to
your state president. He or she must add a
president’s recommendation and then email both
letters directly to the Kenneth Jernigan
Convention Scholarship Fund Committee. Your
president must forward the two letters no later than April 15.

Your letter to Chairperson Allen Harris must cover these points:
    * Your full name, and all your telephone
numbers and label them­cell phone, home, office, other person (if any).
    * Your mailing address and, if you have one, your email address.
    * Your state affiliate and state president;
your chapter and chapter president, if you attend a chapter.
    * Your personal convention mentor, and provide that person’s phone number.
    * Your specific request:

Explain how much money you need from this fund to
make this trip possible for you. We suggest you
consult with other members to make a rough budget for yourself.

The body of your letter should answer these questions:

How do you currently participate in the
Federation? Why do you want to attend a national
convention? What would you receive; what can you
share or give? You can include in your letter to
the committee any special circumstances you hope
they will take into consideration.

When will I be notified that I am a winner?

If you are chosen to receive this scholarship,
you will receive a letter with convention details
that should answer most of your questions. The
committee makes every effort to notify
scholarship winners by May 15, but you must do
several things before that to be prepared to attend if you are chosen.

1. Make your own hotel reservation. If something
prevents you from attending, you can cancel the
reservation. (Yes, you may arrange for roommates
of your own to reduce the cost.)

2. Register online for the entire convention,
including the banquet, by May 31.

3. Find someone in your chapter or affiliate who
has been to many conventions and can answer your
questions as a friend and advisor.

4. If you do not hear from the committee by May
15, then you did not win a grant this year.

How will I receive my convention scholarship?

At convention you will be given a debit card or
credit card loaded with the amount of your award.
The times and locations to pick up your card will
be listed in the letter we sent you. The
committee is not able to provide funds before the
convention, so work with your chapter and state
affiliate to assist you by obtaining an agreement
to advance funds if you win a scholarship and to
pay your treasury back after you receive your debit or credit card.

What if I have more questions? For additional
information email the chairman, Allen Harris, at
<<mailto:kjscholarships at nfb.org>kjscholarships at nfb.org>
or call his Baltimore, Maryland, office at (410) 659-9314, extension 2415.

Above all, please use this opportunity to attend
your first convention on the national level and
join several thousand active Federationists in
the most important meeting of the blind in the
world. We hope to see you in Orlando.