[Nfbnet-members-list] Legislative Update - December 19, 2017

Pare, John JPare at nfb.org
Wed Dec 20 04:16:51 UTC 2017

Dear Fellow Federationists:

The House of Representatives passed the
conferenced version of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
this afternoon. The Senate is expected to pass it
this evening. President Trump is expected to sign
it into law by the end of the week.

The good news is the additional standard
deduction for the blind was included in the bill.
This means that a blind person filing single or
head of household will get an additional $1,550
deduction. A blind person filing married will get
an additional $1,250 deduction, and two blind
spouses filing jointly will get an additional $2,500 deduction.

This provision would not have been preserved if
it had not been for your advocacy. Thanks to
everyone for sending emails and making phone calls.

While we had hoped the Access Technology
Affordability Act would be merged into the Tax
Cuts and Jobs Act, our bill sponsors are still
fully committed to passage of our legislation. We
need to continue to build cosponsors on the House
and Senate bills (H.R. 1734 and S. 732).

As far as the impact the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
will have on the federal deficit, there is still
great concern. Some analysts predict an
additional $1.5 trillion of federal debt, while
others believe that increased economic activity
will offset any additional debt. Our concern is
that increased federal debt could lead to
automatic spending cuts mandated by the Budget
Control Act of 2011. We will need to keep a close
watch and be ready to advocate against any cuts
to vocational rehabilitation, IDEA, Medicaid, Medicare, or SSDI.

For those attending Washington Seminar, please
remember we are only fourteen days away from the
deadline to make hotel reservations at the
Holiday Inn Capitol. That means that we are only
forty-one days away from the Great Gathering-In
and the official start of the 2018 Washington
Seminar. You can make your reservations online by
visiting the
<http://ichotelsgroup.com/redirect?path=rates&brandCode=HI&regionCode=1&localeCode=en&GPC=FB8&hotelCode=WASSM&_PMID=99801505>Holiday
Inn Capitol’s reservations portal which will
already include our group code, or by calling the
Holiday Inn Capitol directly. The telephone
number to call is 1 877-572-6951, and the booking
code to reference is FB8. The 2018 room rate is
$192.00 per night. This rate does not include DC
sales tax, currently 14.8%. The last day to make
your room reservations is Tuesday, January 2,
2018, so please make your reservations as soon as possible.

More information regarding our 2018 legislative
priorities, fact sheets, and FAQs is forthcoming.
Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Warm regards,
John

John G. Paré Jr.
Executive Director for Advocacy and Policy
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2218 | <mailto:jpare at nfb.org>jpare at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/>
National Federation of the Blind

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
Facebook
     <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>
Twitter
     <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>
Youtube

The National Federation of the Blind is a
community of members and friends who believe in
the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.