[Nfbnet-members-list] S. 732 Legislative Alert

Pare, John JPare at nfb.org
Tue Aug 1 23:24:11 UTC 2017

Dear Fellow Federationists:

Thank you for all of your calls and emails since
the last legislative alert. We are now up to
thirty-four cosponsors on AIM HIGH, H.R. 1772,
ten cosponsors on the Access Technology
Affordability Act, H.R. 1734, and twelve
cosponsors on the TIME Act, H.R. 1377. In the
Senate, the Access Technology Affordability Act,
S. 732, has one cosponsor. The complete list of
cosponsors is included at the end of this email.

The House of Representatives adjourned on July 28
and will not return to Washington, DC until
September 5. The Senate is still in session and
will not adjourn until August 11. The Senate will
then also return on September 5.

I have two recommendations. First, call your
Senator immediately and ask him or her to
cosponsor S. 732, the Access Technology
Affordability Act. It would be terrific if we
could grow the number of cosponsors before the
Senate adjourns on August 11. Second, invite your
member of Congress to attend a chapter meeting or
other local NFB event while they are in the
district. Alternately, you could ask to meet with
them in their district office.

I also want to update you on H.R. 620, the ADA
Education and Reform Act. Your calls and emails
have significantly helped in this area. In
addition President Riccobono wrote an
<http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/343880-passing-the-ada-education-and-reform-act-would-be-a-step>op-ed
published in
<http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/343880-passing-the-ada-education-and-reform-act-would-be-a-step>The
Hill on July 26, the twenty-seventh anniversary
of the signing of the ADA into law.

Your calls and emails have also made a tremendous
difference protecting Medicaid. As I mentioned in
a previous alert, an estimated 38.8 percent of
blind Americans rely on Medicaid for their
healthcare according to the US Census Bureau. To
learn more about this topic please read President
Riccobono’s
<http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/healthcare/339073-saving-medicaid-is-critical-to-americas-blind>Saving
Medicaid op-ed, also published in The Hill.

The Senate will be in session until August 11 but
please try to make your calls or send your emails
by Friday, August 4. A short summary of each bill
is included below. I have also included a list of
all the current cosponsors. The best way to
contact your member of Congress is to call the
Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask for
the office in question. Emailing your member of
Congress is also a good idea. If you do so,
please copy <mailto:JPare at nfb.org>JPare at nfb.org.

Thanks for all you do!

Warm regards,

John

John G. Paré Jr.
(410) 659-9314 x 2218
National Federation of the Blind

Bill Summaries

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM HIGH)
This bill will promote instructional technology
and content that are accessible to the blind and
other students with print disabilities.
<https://nfb.org/aimhighfactsheet>Read the AIM HIGH fact sheet to learn more.

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA)
These bills will facilitate the purchase of
access technology for blind people by creating a
refundable, per person tax credit.
<https://nfb.org/access-technology-affordability-act>Read
the Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017 fact sheet to learn more.

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful
Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377 (TIME)
This bill will increase employment opportunities
by removing stigmas and low expectations
propagated by section 14(c) of the Fair Labor
Standards Act. Note that the bill now phases out
subminimum wages over a six year period
corresponding to the recommendation of the
National Council on Disability.
<https://nfb.org/timefactsheet>Read the TIME Act fact sheet to learn more.

Current Cosponsors

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher
Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM HIGH) Current Cosponsors
Rep. Roe, David P. [R-TN-1] - Sponsor
Rep. Young, Don [R-AK-At Large]
Rep. Davis, Susan A. [D-CA-53]
Rep. Garamendi, John [D-CA-3]
Rep. Takano, Mark [D-CA-41]
Rep. Courtney, Joe [D-CT-2]
Rep. Lawson, Al, Jr. [D-FL-5]
Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]
Rep. Ross, Dennis A. [R-FL-15]
Rep. Gabbard, Tulsi [D-HI-2]
Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]
Rep. Young, David [R-IA-3]
Rep. Kinzinger, Adam [R-IL-16]
Rep. Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL-8]
Rep. Brooks, Susan W. [R-IN-5]
Rep. Visclosky, Peter J. [D-IN-1]
Rep. Yarmuth, John A. [D-KY-3]
Rep. McGovern, James P. [D-MA-2]
Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6]
Rep. Nolan, Richard M. [D-MN-8]
Rep. Kildee, Daniel T. [D-MI-5]
Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3]
Rep. Thompson, Bennie G. [D-MS-2]
Rep. Lujan Grisham, Michelle [D-NM-1]
Rep. Amodei, Mark E. [R-NV-2]
Rep. Stefanik, Elise M. [R-NY-21]
Rep. Price, David E. [D-NC-4]
Rep. Rouzer, David [R-NC-7]
Rep. Ryan, Tim [D-OH-13]
Rep. Thompson, Glenn [R-PA-5]
Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]
Rep. Cicilline, David N. [D-RI-1]
Rep. Green, Gene [D-TX-29]
Rep. Johnson, Eddie Bernice [D-TX-30]
Rep. Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [R-WI-5]

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R.
1734 and S. 732 (ATAA) Current Cosponsors
Rep. Young, David [R-IA-3] - Sponsor
Rep. Roybal-Allard, Lucille [D-CA-40]
Rep. Bilirakis, Gus M. [R-FL-12]
Rep. Demings, Val Butler [D-FL-10]
Rep. Lawson, Al, Jr. [D-FL-5]
Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]
Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9]
Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6]
Rep. Ryan, Tim [D-OH-13]
Rep. Smucker, Lloyd [R-PA-16]
Rep. Cicilline, David N. [D-RI-1]

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful
Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377 (TIME) Current Cosponsors
Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3] – Sponsor
Rep. Calvert, Ken [R-CA-42]
Rep. Swalwell, Eric [D-CA-15]
Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]
Rep. Young, David [R-IA-3]
Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9]
Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6]
Rep. Pingree, Chellie [D-ME-1]
Rep. Lujan Grisham, Michelle [D-NM-1]
Rep. Kaptur, Marcy [D-OH-9]
Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]
Rep. Rice, Tom [R-SC-7]
Rep. Johnson, Eddie Bernice [D-TX-30]