[Nfbnet-members-list] Kernel Books Available to All

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Tue Apr 11 22:00:49 UTC 2017

Dear Fellow Federationists:
In 1991 the National Federation of the Blind
began publishing a series of small volumes called
Kernel Books. The books contained stories written
by blind people about our lives, designed to show
that they are not much different from the lives
of our sighted friends, family members, and
peers. We called them Kernel Books because each
story contained a "kernel," such as an incident
or a challenge that revealed a truth about
blindness and blind people. We encouraged the
sharing of these volumes with the public to
increase understanding and combat low
expectations and misconceptions about blindness.
The Kernel Books are a valuable part of our
organizational literature and heritage. As an
organization, we deeply value and treasure the
real-life stories of hope and inspiration
contained in our Kernel Book series. But the way
that the public acquires information has changed,
with more and more people reading and consuming
information in a digital form. While the stories
in the Kernel Books are timeless, the paperback
volumes that contain them are not. Consequently,
we are planning to repurpose these stories to
make them more widely available in digital
formats. At the same time, we would like to get
many of the existing paperback Kernel Books in
our storage facility out into the world and into
the hands of those who would benefit from reading
them. To that end, we are offering free cases (a
case contains fifty books) on a first-come,
first-served basis of the following Kernel Books published after 2000:
•              Oh, Wow
•              Safari
•              Reaching for the Top in the Land Down Under
•              Not Much of a Muchness
•              The Lessons of the Earth
•              Imagine
•              Celebrate
•              To Reach for the Stars
We are making these cases of books available so
that chapters, affiliates, and divisions can
distribute them within their local communities or
to new members and supporters. You might donate
some books to your local library, distribute
copies to senior centers, take some books to
church or to meetings of community organizations
with which you are involved, give the books out
as free literature at community festivals and
events, and more. If you are interested in
receiving a free case of any of these titles,
please contact the Independence Market at (410)
659-9314, extension 2216, or at independencemarket at nfb.org.
We hope that many individuals, chapters, and
affiliates will take advantage of this
opportunity to spread our message of hope, love,
and determination far and wide. The Kernel Books
show how blind people live the lives we want and
invite others to understand and support our work
for the full and equal integration of the blind
into society. Let's make sure that all of the
copies of these books we can get into circulation
are distributed before we transition these
stories to new platforms and formats oriented
towards reaching a new generation of readers.

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, Ext. 2330 | cdanielsen at nfb.org
Twitter: @rlawyer

<https://nfb.org/>
National Federation of the Blind

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
Facebook
     <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>
Twitter
     <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>
Youtube

The National Federation of the Blind is a
community of members and friends who believe in
the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.