[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Newsletter - Our Place in the World

Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind IOF at nfb.org
Fri Sep 2 16:01:26 UTC 2016

National Federation of the Blind logo with tagline: Live the li

Imagineering Our Future

   Issue 89

September 2016

In this issue:
Message from the President
What's News at the NFB
Braille Certification Training Program
 From the tenBroek Library
Education
Independence Market
Advocacy
Access Technology
NFB Calendar
Citation

Graphic: section divider

Message from the President

Dear Friends:

This summer I am celebrating my twentieth
anniversary as a member of the National
Federation of the Blind. I learned about the
Federation when attending the national convention
in Anaheim, California, right around the corner
from Disneyland. My new Federation family members
took me to Disneyland and gave me a true lesson
in the Federation philosophy. We raced around the
park using our long white canes, asking questions
to get directions, and having a lot of fun. I was
amazed that any blind person would think this was
something they could do without sighted
assistance. I did not know the empowering
philosophy of the Federation nor did I have the
skills to do it myself­myfriends in the Federation were modeling it for me.

I remember that the “It’s a Small World” ride was
the one everyone loved. Maybe it was the music,
the animatronics, the concept of world peace,
being able to relax for a moment, or the
combination of all of the above that made it so
special to so many people. As I was reflecting
upon what to write about this month, I found
myself reflecting upon the meetings of the World
Blind Union and the International Council for the
Education of the Visually Impaired that the
National Federation of the Blind hosted in
Orlando in August. In meeting blind people from
around the world, discussing our common interests
and the barriers we face, and dreaming of how we
cancontinue to improve public perception of the
blind, my first experience at Disneyland came to
mind. It truly is a small world. Although the
experience for me as a blind person in the United
States in 2016 is different from the current
experience of blind people in many developing
countries today, there still are many
commonalities. The most significant commonality
being that we all battle against the persistent
low expectations that come from misconceptions
about blindness. One difference is that in the
United States we in the National Federation of
the Blind have pioneered the best training
available to the blind anywhere in the world
through our affiliated training centers:
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5759&qid=1374359>BLIND
Inc.,
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5760&qid=1374359>the
Colorado Center for the Blind, and
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5761&qid=1374359>the
Louisiana Center for the Blind. During the world
meetings in Orlando I was talking to blind people
from around the world, and sometimes answering
the questions I was asking twenty years ago
during my adventure to Disneyland. It was truly
inspiring towitness staff and graduates of our
training programs here in the United States
passing on their experience and skills to blind people all around the world.

When you come right down to it, the world is
small. Yet, in the National Federation of the
Blind we work daily to make sure that there are
no artificial limits on the horizons for blind
people. By sharing our experience and learning
from other blind people around the world, we find
new ways to expand those horizons. It was a great
experience to host the world meetings in the
United States for the first time. I hope that in
twenty years when I look back on this experience,
I will still feel the closeness to others from
around the world that I experienced last month. I
know that with our continued work together, the
National Federation of the Blind will still be
expanding thehorizons twenty years from today.

Sincerely,

Graphic: Signature of Mark Riccobono

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind

Graphic: section divider

What's News at the NFB

Wichita State University Agreement

We, along with Emily Schlenker, a blind student,
have entered into an agreement with Wichita State
University (WSU) to improve opportunities for
blind students attending WSU. The agreement
resolves concerns raised by Ms. Schlenker with
faculty and staff at the university.
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5762&qid=1374359>More
information can be found in the press release.

Space Available Program Update

The National Federation of the Blind of Texas
commented on the inclusion of language that would
allow more veterans with disabilities to
participate in the Space Available program in the
House version of the National Defense
Authorization Act (NDAA) by Congressman Mac
Thornberry, chairman of the House Committee on
Armed Services. You can read the comments at
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5763&qid=1374359>https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-texas-commends-congressman-thornberry-support-veterans-disabilities.

A letter of thanks to Representative Thornberry
will give him support when he seeks inclusion of
his language in the final joint House and Senate
bill when the conference committee meets in
September. A webform has been created to help
with simple thank you notes. It can be found at
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5764&qid=1374359>https://nfb.org/thank-you-thornberry.

Graphic: section divider

Braille Certification Training Program

Under a contract with the National Library
Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped,
Library of Congress (NLS), the National
Federation of the Blind administers the courses
leading to NLS certification of Braille transcribers and proofreaders.

Starting in January 2015, all new students in the
literary transcribing/proofreading courses began
learning under the rules of Unified English
Braille (UEB), and students who had been working
in the older version of the course were switched
to the new version during the year.

Successful completion of these rigorous courses
requires a great deal of time and effort on the
part of the students. We congratulate the
following individuals who earned certification in
literary transcribing during the month of June
2016, achieving certificates under the rules of Unified English Braille:

Colorado

Misteer Greene, Burlington

Georgia

Jay Matthew Dailey, Macon

Pennsylvania

Arletta Joyce Shenfeld, Mechanicsburg

The updating of the Nemeth and music courses to
align with UEB is ongoing. Congratulations to the
following student who achieved certification in
the current version of the Nemeth transcribing course during the month of June:

Missouri

Ernest Phillip Crider, Jefferson City

For transcribers and proofreaders who were
certified prior to the adoption of UEB and need
to update their credentials, a test was developed
to allow them to earn a letter of proficiency in
UEB, which is an add-on credential to an existing
certificate. As of this writing, 160 individuals
have earned this letter of proficiency in Unified
English Braille from the Library of Congress.

Graphic: section divider

 From the tenBroek Library

The tenBroek Library welcomes all researchers
interested in the non-medical aspects of
blindness. Our collections cover areas including
the education of blind children, disability law
and policy, the history of attitudes toward the
blind, and literary works by blind authors. We
provide facilities for using our collections,
regardless of format, to both sighted and blind readers.

The tenBroek Library looks after the history of
blind people in many ways, including collecting
NFB literature, maintaining the Federation's
archives, and building our collections of
archival papers and published works. We also
recognize that much of the history of the blind
resides in the lived experience of the blind, and
we are committed to documenting those experiences
through our Oral History program.

Researchers can access the holdings of the
tenBroek Library through our fully accessible
online portals.
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5765&qid=1374359>The
Cane Tip is our database for finding aids that
describe the manuscript and archival collections
held by the library, including the personal and
professional papers of NFB founder Jacobus
tenBroek, the papers of past NFB President
Kenneth Jernigan, and the NFB Institutional
Archives, as well as several smaller collections.
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5766&qid=1374359>The
Blind Cat is our online public access catalog
(OPAC) where researchers can search our
collection of published materials. The scope of
our published materials­largely in print, but
also in talking book, Braille, and digital
formats­extends to all facets of blindness and
the lives of blind people, with the exception of
the medical treatment and prevention of blindness.

The tenBroek Library also holds­and makes
available to researchers­extensive collections of
archival photographs, sound recordings, and
audiovisual material. At this time there is no
public catalog or finding aid of this material.
However, we will happily respond to inquiries by mail, phone, or email.

To learn more about the holdings of the Jacobus
tenBroek Library, please visit the Cane Tip, the
Blind Cat, or send us an email at
<mailto:jtblibrary at nfb.org>jtblibrary at nfb.org.

Graphic: section divider

Education

NFB BELL Academy

The NFB BELL Academy (Braille Enrichment for
Learning and Literacy) provides blind children
with quality summer instruction in Braille and
other nonvisual skills while having a lot of fun,
exercising other skills like independent travel,
and working with blind adult role models from a
variety of backgrounds. During this summer,
thirty-one affiliates have offered forty-five NFB
BELL Academy sites providing more than sixteen
thousand hours of instruction to more than three hundred blind youth.

This fall, the Jernigan Institute will be holding
two training seminars to prepare for the NFB BELL
Academy next summer. Additionally, we will
provide NFB BELL Academy teacher training via
distance education beginning this winter and
continuing through the spring of 2017.

Graphic: section divider

Independence Market

The
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5767&qid=1374359>Independence
Market is the National Federation of the Blind’s
conduit for distributing our organizational
literature to members and friends as well as to
the general public. We also sell various, mostly low-tech, blindness products.

It’s that time of year when many are starting to
look for next year’s calendar. Since not everyone
is using digital calendars yet, the Independence
Market still offers the following Braille and large-print calendars.

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5768&qid=1374359>2017
American Action Fund Braille Calendar
This comb-bound, pocket-sized Braille calendar
measures 6 x 6 1/2 inches. Each calendar page
includes the days of the month and lists major
holidays. A page for personal notes is in the
back. This calendar is available free of charge.

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5769&qid=1374359>2017
Large-Print Calendar
This spiral-bound, large-print appointment
calendar measures 8 1/2 x 11 inches and has
inside pockets. Each month is displayed on two
facing pages and features 2-inch blocks for each
day of the month. The months are tabbed and
include a section for monthly notes as well as a
three-month calendar overview. The calendar costs
$10.00, plus shipping and handling.

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5769&qid=1374359>2017
EZ2See Large-Print Planner
This organizer designed with low-vision
professionals in mind features easy-to-read large
print. The spiral-bound planner with laminated
covers, measuring 8 1/2 x 11 inches, features a
page for each month as well as two-page weekly
views from the end of December 2016 through the
beginning of January 2018. Major holidays are
listed on both the monthly and weekly views. The
weekly pages have individual unlined writing
areas measuring 3 1/4 by 8 inches and the font on
these pages is at least forty point. Some pages
for personal notes are also included. Dark
boarders on all the pages make it easier to see
the writing area. The planner costs $20.00, plus shipping and handling.

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5827&qid=1374359>Fopydo
KNFB Reader Scanning Stand
The newest item available from the Independence
Market is the Fopydo KNFB Reader Scanning Stand.
This is a very handy accessory for anyone who
uses the KNFB Reader app on a smartphone. For
those who don't know,
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5770&qid=1374359>the
KNFB Reader app allows the user to take a photo
of printed text and have it converted to speech
output in a fraction of a second. If one plans to
scan multiple pages in one reading session or has
trouble holding the phone steady, a scanning
stand becomes very helpful, as one can rest the
device on the stand. The lightweight FopydoKNFB
Reader Scanning Stand is very portable and easy
to assemble. Its 11 inch height is ideal for
reading 8.5 x 11 inch documents, but the height
can be adjusted to accommodate the scanning of
larger format items. The stand is made of
corrugated plastic with fold-out metal legs that
can be extended to vary the height. The shelf
features a notch to make it easy to line up the
device camera and a sticky strip to keep the
device from sliding. The shelf is even sturdy
enough to accommodate an iPad Mini. When
collapsed, the stand measures 11.75 x 9.5 x 0.25
inches. The Fopydo KNFB Reader Scanning Stand
costs $12.00 plus shipping and handling.

Please contact us for more information about
products and literature available through the
Independence Market or to request a catalog in
print or in Braille. Our
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5767&qid=1374359>catalog
and product information is also available online.
You can <mailto:independencemarket at nfb.org>reach
us via email or by phone at (410) 659-9314,
extension 2216. Our Independence Market staff will be glad to assist you.

Graphic: section divider

Advocacy

Uber Class Notice

In order to prevent discrimination against
service animal users by Uber drivers, the NFB has
proposed a class action settlement that would,
among other things, require Uber to provide
additional training to its drivers, require Uber
drivers to acknowledge their responsibility to
transport riders with service animals, and
require Uber to terminate drivers that refuse to
transport riders with service animals.
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5771&qid=1374359>View
the full notice on the NFB website; this affects
your rights as a class member using Uber with a service animal.

An additional
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5772&qid=1374359>summary
of the comprehensive settlement terms from the
attorneys for the class can be found on the TRE Legal website.

Graphic: section divider

Access Technology

For anyone with an interest in accessible web
design in the Baltimore area, on September 29 the
NFB Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access
(CENA) to Education, Public Information, and
Commerce will be hosting a boutique on
accessibility in Drupal. For more on that event
or to find sign-up information, visit
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5773&qid=1374359>https://nfb.org/free-accessibility-training-boutiques.

Graphic: section divider

NFB Calendar

Upcoming Events

August 31: Deadline for experienced NFB BELL
Academy affiliate representatives to register for
the NFB BELL Academy Training Seminar, September
30-October 2, 2016,
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5774&qid=1374359>registration
form

September 8: Deadline for prospective NFB BELL
Academy affiliates to apply to host an NFB BELL
Academy for the summer of 2017,
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5775&qid=1374359>application
form

September 15: Deadline for representatives from
accepted prospective NFB BELL Academy affiliates
to register for the NFB BELL Academy Training
Seminar, October 20-23, 2016, choose:
Novice/Intermediate,
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5774&qid=1374359>registration
form

September 30-October 2: NFB BELL Academy Training
Seminar (Advanced) in Baltimore, Maryland

October 20-24: NFB BELL Academy Training Seminar
(Novice/Intermediate) in Baltimore, Maryland

State Conventions

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5776&qid=1374359>Arizona
- September 9-11

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5777&qid=1374359>West
Virginia - September 8-11

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5778&qid=1374359>North
Carolina - September 16-18

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5779&qid=1374359>North
Dakota - September 17

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5780&qid=1374359>Maine
- September 24

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5781&qid=1374359>Wyoming
- September 24

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5782&qid=1374359>Hawaii
- October 1-2

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5783&qid=1374359>Kentucky
- September 30-October 2

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5784&qid=1374359>Minnesota
- September 30-October 2

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5785&qid=1374359>Alaska
- October 7-8

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5786&qid=1374359>Georgia
- October 7-9

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5787&qid=1374359>Iowa
- October 7-9

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5788&qid=1374359>Indiana
- October 7-9

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5789&qid=1374359>Montana
- October 7-9

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5790&qid=1374359>Nebraska
- October 7-9

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5791&qid=1374359>District
of Columbia - October 12-15

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5792&qid=1374359>Oregon
- October 14-16

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5793&qid=1374359>Rhode
Island - October 14-15

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5794&qid=1374359>Washington
- October 14-16

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5795&qid=1374359>California
- October 21-23

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5796&qid=1374359>Arkansas
- October 28-30

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5797&qid=1374359>Colorado
- October 28-30

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5798&qid=1374359>Delaware
- October 28-29

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5799&qid=1374359>Illinois
- October 28-30

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5800&qid=1374359>Maryland
- October 28-30

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5801&qid=1374359>New
York - October 28-30

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5802&qid=1374359>South
Carolina - October 28-30

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5803&qid=1374359>Vermont
- October 29

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5804&qid=1374359>Connecticut
- November 4-6

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5805&qid=1374359>Kansas
- November 4-6

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5806&qid=1374359>Michigan
- November 4-6

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5807&qid=1374359>Texas
- November 4-6

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5808&qid=1374359>New
Jersey - November 10-13

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5809&qid=1374359>Nevada
- November 11-13

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5810&qid=1374359>Ohio
- November 11-13

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5811&qid=1374359>Pennsylvania
- November 11-13

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5812&qid=1374359>Virginia
- November 11-13

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5813&qid=1374359>Puerto
Rico - November 19

Graphic: section divider

Citation

We have all the typical and ordinary range of
talents and techniques, attitudes, and
aspirations. Our underlying assumption is not­as
it is with some other groups­the intrinsic
helplessness and everlasting dependency of those
who happen to lack sight, but rather their innate
capacity to nullify and overrule this
disability­to find their place in the
community­with the same degree of success and
failure to be found among the general population.

– Professor Jacobus tenBroek.
"<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5814&qid=1374359>Cross
of Blindness.” 1956 NFB National Convention, New
Orleans, Louisiana, July 6, 1956.

Graphic: section divider

Thank you for reading the NFB’s Imagineering Our Future.

Help make a significant difference in the lives
of blind people across the country.

Better Business Bureau Accredited Charity Logo

Combined Federal Campaign Approved Charity Logo

Charity Watch Top Rated Logo

GuideStar Exchange Gold Participant Logo

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4049&qid=692780>Make
a Gift Today

Back to Top

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5815&qid=1374359>
Image of a hand holding a cell phone with the KNFB Reader logo

Two girls attending Youth Slam smile widely.

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4050&qid=692780>Make
Gift Today

To donate a vehicle to the NFB, call toll-free
(855) 659-9314
or visit our
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4051&qid=692780>vehicle
donation
page.

 To donate clothing or household items to the NFB,
visit
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4052&qid=692780>www.nfbpickup.org/

or call toll-free
(888) 610-4632
to schedule a pickup or to find drop locations.

Photo: Father and Child

If this issue was forwarded to you and you would
like to subscribe, please email
<mailto:JerniganInstitute at nfb.org.>JerniganInstitute at nfb.org.

Two people use their canes as they walk down the sidewalk.

Please check with your company to see if it
offers a matching program that will match your gift.

A man uses alternative technologies to read a restaurant menu.

Interesting links:

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4053&qid=692780>Archive
of Straight Talk About Vision Loss videos

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4054&qid=692780>National
Center for Blind Youth in Science

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4055&qid=692780>Access
Technology Tips

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4056&qid=692780>TeachBlindStudents.org

A young blind boy examines the leaves on a tree.

Blogs:

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4057&qid=692780>Access
Technology

<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4058&qid=692780>Voice
of the Nation's Blind

A blind girl reads Braille to her older sister.

Support the National Federation of the Blind
through the
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4059&qid=692780>Imagination
Fund<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4059&qid=692780>.

National Federation of the Blind