[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Applauds Continued Support from Google for KNFB Reader Google Supports Continued Development of Text Recognition App that Gives the Blind Access to Print

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Thu Oct 13 22:22:15 UTC 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Applauds
Continued Support from Google for KNFB Reader
Google Supports Continued Development of Text
Recognition App that Gives the Blind Access to Print

Baltimore, MD (October 7, 2016): The National
Federation of the Blind is pleased to announce
that Google continues its support of the
development and distribution of KNFB Reader. For
a limited time, KNFB Reader will be offered for
the reduced price of $19.99 for the Android app.

KNFB Reader is a mobile app that reads print
aloud. It’s easy to use. Take a photo and the app
reads the text aloud in clear synthetic speech.
And it’s fast–the print will be yours almost instantaneously.

The app is fully accessible thanks to Google
TalkBack and app functionalities that guide the
blind user in independently taking the perfect
picture. The app can currently recognize text in
nineteen different languages, and is compatible
with connected Braille displays.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “We are delighted
that continued support from Google will allow us
to further develop the KNFB Reader app and to get
this life-changing technology into the hands of
more people who can benefit from it. We deeply
appreciate Google's continued support because it
means that more people who are blind or who have
print disabilities will have a quick and
convenient means of accessing the printed word.”

One new KNFB Reader user said, “I had a minor
medical procedure recently and upon discharge I
was given a pile of papers which included my
reported results. For the first time in my life,
I was able to read my report in privacy and
independently. If you are still wondering whether
to buy this app, all I can say is that for me it
was a good investment. I can imagine myself using
the KNFB reader on a daily basis.”

To purchase KNFB Reader, visit the Google Play
store:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sensotec.knfbreader>https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sensotec.knfbreader

###
About the National Federation of the Blind:
The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.