[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: Be a Part of the Solution: Join the Dialogue!

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Sun May 15 20:50:34 UTC 2016

Dear Fellow Federationists,

                 In the May issue of the Braille Monitor, an article
entitled "Fake Service Dogs: Problem or propaganda", written by
Marion Gwizdala, president of the National Association of Guide Dog
Users, urged NFB members to take action to raise awareness of the
mutual rights and responsibilities of guide and other service dog
users and businesses. In this article, President Gwizdala wrote, "We
want businesses to know the rights of an individual accompanied by a
service dog are not absolute, and businesses have the right to deny
access to dogs that pose a direct threat, are out-of-control and the
handler does not take action to correct the behavior, or if the dog
is not housebroken." The entire article can be read by going to

<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm16/bm1605/bm160508.htm>https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm16/bm1605/bm160508.htm

                 The National Association of Guide Dog Users has
created some tools to help NFB members start a conversation with
businesses about their rights and responsibilities as it pertains to
access to individuals accompanied by service animals. In order to
have this conversation, we want to offer some guidance on using the
tools and having the conversation. NAGDU will sponsor a
teleconference call about having this conversation on Tuesday, May 17
at 8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time (7:00 pm Central; 6:00 pm Mountain;
& 5:00 pm Pacific). To join the conversation, please call (641)
715-3300 and use participant code 560908#. We look forward to working
with fellow Federationists to remove the obstacles we all face as
blind people in our quest to live the life we want!

                 If you have any questions or comments, please send a
message to

<mailto:info at nagdu.org>info at nagdu.org

                 The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.
Every day we raise expectations because low expectations are the
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want! Blindness is not what holds you back!