[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Announces 2016 Scholarship Program Finalists

Morey, Kristian KMorey at nfb.org
Wed Jun 22 19:32:35 UTC 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Announces 2016 Scholarship Program Finalists

Baltimore, Maryland (June 22, 2016): The
<http://www.nfb.org/>National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the
nation's oldest and largest organization of blind people, today
announced the finalists for its 2016 Scholarship Program, which
awards thirty scholarships each year to recognize achievement by
blind scholars. The students are listed below in alphabetical order
with their home states and vocational goals.

    * Tara Abella, IN: Elementary/Special Education Teacher
    * Justine "JJ" Aragon, CO: Rehabilitation Counseling
    * Deniz Aydemir-Doke, PA: Higher Education
    * Samrawit Biyazin, OR: Certified Public Accountant
    * Megan Borella, CA: Business or Information Systems
    * Riki Danielle Burton, KY: Teaching Blind Students
    * Brennan Carman, NY: Medical Research
    * Merry-Noel Chamberlain, NE: Higher Education
    * Nathan Clark, MD: Juvenile Probation Officer
    * Elif Emir Oksuz, OH: Mental Health Counselor
    * Laura Etori, NJ: Actuary
    * Jameyanne Fuller, NH: Law
    * Deanna Greco, NJ: Brain Research
    * Maria "Conchita" Hernandez, DC: Research
    * Nazanin Heydarian, TX: Medical Research
    * Sharon Jose, VA: Computer Science Engineer
    * Matthew Miller, IL: Actuary
    * James Garret Mooney, AZ: Law
    * Kathryn Olsen, IA: Physical Therapist
    * Chelsea Page, LA: Blind Instruction and Early Intervention
    * Precious Perez, MA: Professional Performer/Music Educator
    * Donna Posont, MI: Naturalist
    * Syed Rizvi, MA: Health Informatics and Data Analytics
    * Joe Dexter Rowell, MA: Public Interest Law
    * Kartik Sawhney, CA: Software Development
    * Kennedy Stomberg, MN: Research
    * Corgan Waters, TN: Pathology
    * Kathryn Webster, CT: Actuarial Science Consulting
    * Kassidy Wilde, UT: Psychology
    * Johna Wright, GA: Blind Education

"The scholarship program is one of our most important initiatives,"
said Mark A. Riccobono, President of
<http://www.twitter.com/NFB_voice>the National Federation of the
Blind. "We are proud to honor these blind scholars, who are studying
everything from elementary education to software development, and in
so doing raising the expectations of what blind people can achieve.
Their accomplishments are proof of our conviction that we, the blind
of this nation, can live the lives we want; blindness does not hold us back."

Each finalist will attend the NFB's seventy-sixth annual
<http://www.nfb.org/convention>national convention, beginning June
30, in Orlando, Florida, where the Scholarship Committee will spend
several days getting to know each student and then decide which
scholarship (ranging in value from $3,000 to $12,000) to award each
of them. The scholarship winners will then be announced at the
banquet of the NFB National Convention on Tuesday, July 5.

For more information on the National Federation of the Blind
Scholarship Program, visit
<http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>www.nfb.org/scholarships.

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.