[Nfbnet-members-list] Party Platforms Call for End to Subminimum Wage: National Federation of the Blind Urges Passage of TIME Act

webmaster webmaster at nfb.org
Tue Jul 26 16:01:13 UTC 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

Party Platforms Call for End to Subminimum Wage

National Federation of the Blind Urges Passage of TIME Act

Baltimore, Maryland (July 26, 2016): The National
Federation of the Blind today applauded language
in the platforms of both major political parties
that calls for the end of the payment of
subminimum wages to workers with disabilities.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: "The National
Federation of the Blind has advocated for the
elimination of the subminimum wage since our
founding, and the recognition of this issue by
leaders of both political parties further
confirms that the time has long passed to
eliminate the unfair and separate wage system for
people with disabilities. We applaud the
statements of both Democratic and Republican
delegates, and urge members of Congress to follow
those statements with the actions required to
pass the Transitioning to Integrated and
Meaningful Employment Act as soon as possible
when Congress resumes its session."

The Democratic Party platform states in pertinent
part: "We
 support
 ending the sub-minimum wage
for
 people with disabilities." The Republican
Party platform states in pertinent part: "Our
TIME Act (Transition[ing] to Integrated and
Meaningful Employment) will modernize the Fair
Labor Standards Act to encourage competitive
employment for persons with disabilities.
 We
endorse efforts like Employment First that
replace dependency with jobs in the mainstream of the American workforce."

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.

For more information about the National
Federation of the Blind, please visit:
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=5587&qid=1336671>www.nfb.org.

National Federation of the Blind