[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: National Federation of the Blind Applauds Transmission of Marrakesh Treaty for Ratification

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Wed Feb 10 22:26:29 UTC 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Transmission of Marrakesh
Treaty for Ratification

Urges Senate to Ratify Treaty to End Book Famine Immediately

Baltimore, Maryland (February 10, 2016): The National Federation of
the Blind today applauded President Obama's transmission of the
Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons
Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired or Otherwise Print Disabled to the
United States Senate for ratification, and urged the Senate to act
immediately to ratify the treaty.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "this crucial treaty will substantially ease the book famine
that currently limits education and opportunity for the blind of this
nation and the world. When it is fully in effect, it will give blind
Americans the ability to access books in Braille, audio, and other
alternative formats from across the globe, as well as provide more
books to the blind of all nations. We strongly urge the United States
Senate to ratify it without delay."

The Marrakesh Treaty was officially proposed in 2009, successfully
adopted in June 2013 by the World Intellectual Property Organization,
and signed by the United States in October 2013. For more information
on the treaty, please visit
<https://nfb.org/marrakeshfactsheet>https://nfb.org/marrakeshfactsheet.

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.