[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: National Federation of the Blind Applauds Affirmation of Ruling on Access to Absentee Ballots

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Tue Feb 9 22:49:01 UTC 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Affirmation of Ruling on
Access to Absentee Ballots

Baltimore, Maryland (February 9, 2016): The National Federation of
the Blind, the nation's leading advocate for equal access to voting
by the blind, today applauded a ruling by the United States Court of
Appeals for the Fourth Judicial Circuit. The ruling in National
Federation of the Blind et al. vs. Linda H. Lamone et al. upheld a
<https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-applauds-ruling-access-absentee-ballots>lower
court ruling requiring the state of Maryland to make an accessible
online ballot-marking tool available to blind voters who wished to
vote by absentee ballot.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "The right to vote is a fundamental one, and equal access to
this right cannot and must not be denied to blind Americans. Today's
ruling affirms that blind voters must have equal access to all
methods of voting that are generally available to other voters, and
that equal access means the ability to mark and cast our ballots
privately and independently, without being forced to rely on
assistance from others. This historic ruling protects the rights of
the blind voters of Maryland, and sets the stage for full and equal
access to voting by blind people across the nation."

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.