[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Applauds Senator Michael Bennett: Senator Supports Legislation to Integrate Workers with Disabilities

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Tue Sep 22 21:15:09 UTC 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Senator Michael Bennett

Senator Supports Legislation to Integrate Workers with Disabilities

Baltimore, Maryland (September 22, 2015): The
<http://www.nfb.org>National Federation of the Blind applauds Senator
Michael Bennett (D-CO) for cosponsoring the Transitioning to
Integrated and Meaningful Employment (TIME) Act (S. 2001). Senator
Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
<https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-applauds-introduction-legislation-integrate-workers-disabilities>introduced
this legislation to repeal Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards
Act, in order to incentivize the transitioning of workers with
disabilities into integrated, meaningful employment, and to phase out
the discriminatory practice of paying workers with disabilities as
little as pennies per hour. Senator Bennett is the first cosponsor of
Senator Ayotte's legislation. Companion legislation has also been
introduced in the House of Representatives by Representative Gregg
Harper (R-MS) as H.R. 188 and has forty-four cosponsors.

Mark A. Riccobono,
<http://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind>President of
the National Federation of the Blind, said: "The National Federation
of the Blind and our partners representing the fifty-five million
Americans with disabilities know that low expectations, not
disability, are the true barriers that prevent people with
disabilities from living the lives we want. We applaud Senator
Bennett for joining his colleague from across the aisle in
recognizing that current segregated employment practices are based on
over seventy-five years of entrenched but false thinking about the
capacity of people with disabilities. We strongly urge his colleagues
in both houses of the United States Congress to work in the same
bipartisan spirit and support this legislation, thereby embracing a
future in which the next generation of workers with disabilities,
including my two young daughters, enter the workforce without the
discriminatory presumptions that exist today, and in which these
workers are able to achieve their full potential in the workplace and beyond."

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.