[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: National Federation of the Blind Partners with Santa to Promote Braille Literacy

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Mon Nov 16 15:22:48 UTC 2015

From: Kuhnke, Kristian
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2015 8:45 AM
Subject: National Federation of the Blind Partners with Santa to
Promote Braille Literacy

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind
Partners with Santa to Promote Braille Literacy

Baltimore, Maryland (November 16, 2015):  Once again, Santa has
enlisted the help of the elves at the <http://www.nfb.org/>National
Federation of the Blind (NFB) Jernigan Institute to get
<http://www.braille.org>Braille letters out to hundreds of blind boys
and girls this Christmas season.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the
<http://www.twitter.com/NFB_voice>National Federation of the Blind,
said: "Santa approached the National Federation of the Blind several
years ago and asked us to be his helpers. Knowing how much he means
to children everywhere, including my own, I am pleased that we will
once again be assisting St. Nicholas this year. Braille literacy is
the key to success and opportunity for the blind, but unfortunately
too few blind children are learning it today. This program is a fun
way for blind children to practice their Braille skills while
receiving a holiday greeting from Santa himself."

Between November 16 and December 18, parents of very young children,
under the age of ten, can visit <http://www.nfb.org>www.nfb.org and
fill out <https://nfb.org/santa-letters>a Santa Braille Letter
request form. The form can also be printed and faxed to (410)
685-2340. Beginning November 30, the Braille letters from Santa will
start going out to blind boys and girls across the country. The
Braille letter will also be accompanied by a print copy (for mom and
dad to read), as well as some other fun Christmastime activities.
Requests for letters must include the writer's name, the child's
name, birthday, gender, mailing address, a telephone number, and
e-mail address in case Santa's helpers at the National Federation of
the Blind have questions.

The deadline for letter requests is December 18, to ensure that a
return letter in Braille is received before Christmas.

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.