[Nfbnet-members-list] You won't want to miss February's Braille Monitor...

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 14:09:34 UTC 2015

Fellow Federationists,

Here is a preview of what you’ll find in the February edition of The Braille Monitor, available online at:
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm15/bm1502/bm1502tc.htm

The coordinators of our NFB-BELL programs, which teach braille to blind students aged four to twelve, are very talented, patient, and special folks. But they’re really kids at heart! In this issue, you’ll learn what happened when more than fifty of them gathered in Baltimore.

If you’ve been to a national convention, you’ve heard the voice of Michael Barber who has served for many years as a chapter and affiliate president in Iowa. Did you know, though, that Mike and gold, that precious metal, share something in common? Spoiler alert: they tarnish. Jim Omvig shares a touching tribute of his tenure serving the blind in Iowa.

Christian Coudert explores the issue of digital versus paper Braille from a research-based perspective. Do readers absorb more content from hardcopy Braille? Can they read faster with a refreshable Braille display? You’ll have to read the article to find out, and hopefully you’ll remember what you’ve read!

Dogs, Disney, and blindness…wow, what a combination! Grace Warn remarkably draws a connection among the three, and she even goes on to say that every chapter needs someone like Disney’s dog Trusty in its ranks.

You’ll find these, and many other, stories of Federationists sharing their positive view of blindness in this month’s issue of The Braille Monitor.

I trust that you’ll be enlightened and brightened by what our colleagues have to share.

Corbb O’Connor