[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: NFB-NEWSLINE® Releases iOS Mobile App Version 2.1

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Wed Dec 2 15:36:19 UTC 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

NFB-NEWSLINE® Releases iOS Mobile App Version 2.1

Baltimore, Maryland (December 2, 2015):
NFB-NEWSLINE® continues to expand the
functionality of its free news and information
service with the release of NFB-NEWSLINE® Mobile
iOS app version 2.1, a free app for the blind and print-disabled.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “Living the lives
we want means being connected to important news
and information at the same time as our sighted
peers. We are proud that NFB-NEWSLINE® continues
to expand the availability and selection of
newspapers and other important information. It’s
a unique service developed by the blind, for the blind.”

Scott White, Director of NFB-NEWSLINE®, said: “We
are excited to release this next version of
NFB-NEWSLINE® Mobile. We are constantly striving
to keep this app relevant and provide more
features, and we thank our subscribers for the
many useful suggestions that have been implemented in this version.”

NFB-NEWSLINE® is a free service available to
anyone who is blind, visually impaired or
print-disabled, offering over four hundred
publications. The service includes national
newspapers like the Wall Street Journal and USA
Today, sixteen breaking news sources such as CNN
and ESPN Online, fourteen international
newspapers including the London Telegraph and
Vancouver Sun, and countless state newspapers,
plus fifty magazines like Time, PC World, Mac World, Guideposts, and more.

The new version of the NFB-NEWSLINE® Mobile iOS
app includes a number of enhancements, including
a global search function, allowing subscribers to
search across all publications for topics of
interest. The weather alert feature will now be
linked to the iOS device’s GPS, so alerts will be
more accurate than ever before. A blind person
can hear the beep tones warning of weather
emergencies on the television, but cannot read
the messages scrolling across the screen.
NFB-NEWSLINE® provides any current alerts as soon
as subscribers log into the app.

In addition to these features, TV listings have
been streamlined, retail ads-previously only
available using the telephone access method-have
been added, and choosing favorites is now made
easier by the addition of an Add/Delete Favorites
button on the screen for each publication.

NFB-NEWSLINE®’s vast array of publications,
information, and announcements can be accessed
anytime, on the subscribers’ schedule, all day,
every day. And it is always free. To learn more
about NFB-NEWSLINE® or to sign up, visit
<http://www.nfbnewsline.org>www.nfbnewsline.org, or call (866) 504-7300.

NFB-NEWSLINE® is a service of the National Federation of the Blind.

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.