[Nfbnet-members-list] April Braille Monitor Available

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed Apr 29 15:19:06 UTC 2015

April 2015 Braille Monitor

The April edition of the Braille Monitor is filled with problems,
possibilities, hope and outstanding examples of leadership.

Some of the problems we encounter are frustrating and take years to
solve.  The article "The Deaf-blind Dilemma" by Cathy Guillory Miller
offers insight to help us understand the communication difficulties
and attitudinal barriers that deaf-blind people face.  As Cathy
Guillory Miller explains, "We will not overcome the damage that
history has done unless we first understand what will be required to
heal the wounds."

There is rarely an issue of the Monitor that does not contain at
least one article about non-visual access to technologies and
websites.  The April edition is no exception.   Curtis Chong
expresses our deep frustration with the lack of progress in his
article entitled "Accessibility at Microsoft: More Challenges than
Victories."

Donna Hill, a blind author, also expressed her frustration with the
lack of access to eBooks in the article entitled "Local Author to Be
Featured in ABA Journal."  Hill was outraged when she discovered that
the promise of over 40 million books contained in the Scribd
electronic library was denied to her.  The National Federation of the
Blind took action.  I am sure a future edition of the Braille Monitor
will describe our recent victory in this case.

For decades blind persons have been vigilant in protecting the right
to use a guide dog in public accommodations.  Congratulations to
Donald Porterfield and the Arizona affiliate for their prompt action
to kill a bill that would have severely limited access to restaurants
for blind persons who use dog guides.  Read "Service Animal Laws
Challenged in Arizona" for the specific details.

There are two articles about outstanding Federation leaders that you
will not want to miss.  The article "Maurer Devotes Career to Serving
Blind Americans" by Josh Stowe is especially interesting because it
was reprinted from the University of Notre Dame Alumni Association
Newsletter.  Jim Omvig's review of Dr. Joanne Wilson's many careers
is an excellent tribute to her many years of service in the
Federation.  Be sure to read "Dr. Joanne Wilson Retires: Another
Jernigan Pioneer Enters a New Phase of Life."

We are fortunate to have outstanding leaders. With love, hope and
determination we will turn the problems illustrated in the Braille
Monitor to possibilities of opportunity.  Go to
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm15/bm1504/bm1504tc.htm>https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm15/bm1504/bm1504tc.htm.

Sharon Maneki