[Nfbnet-members-list] 2014 National Federation of the Blind Community Service Group Activities : Learning, Leading, and Limo-riding

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 09:55:57 UTC 2014

Fellow Federationists,

It is said that some things are worth the wait.

Well, we think that the slate of events being put on by the NFB Community Service Group would certainly fall into this category. We are especially excited to offer to you all of the below activities and ask that you support us by participating as appropriate. Whether you are a blind youth who wants something fun to do or something constructive for your confidence/college application, are an adult looking for a way to plug into your community, want something inspiring to get you ready for the big week ahead, or something else not mentioned here, you don’t want to miss a moment!

Now, if you are looking for an excuse to ride around town like a superstar or flaunt massive amounts of trivia skill with friends and fellow know-it-alls, then don’t worry; we’ve so got you covered there, too!

Tuesday, July 1.  Putting It Together for Good: Implementing Independence Skills in Community Service. Sponsored by the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children and the NFB Community Service Group.
Session 1 (youth 11-14): 11:00 AM - 12:15 PM, Salon 11, level 2
Session 2 (youth 14-18): 3:30 - 4:45, Salon 12, level 2
Volunteering is not only a good thing to do, but it is also a fun thing to be part of. Come be a part of age-appropriate activities to help you learn what volunteering/community service is, what type of service you like doing, and how you can find the stuff you like doing. Who knows:  It might even make you the coolest person in your school! (Good for resumes and scholarship applications, too.)

Thursday, July 3.  Community Service Group Seminar and Organizing Meeting, Salon 7, level 2
6:15: Registration
6:25: Service Forum
Come early for the pre-seminar service forum, a time to hear from representatives from some of the nation’s most successful service outfits. Hear from the Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, and Hands On Orlando as they answer your questions and encourage your involvement!
7:00: Meeting begins! Settle in for our third annual seminar! Learn how giving back to our community builds our movement, celebrate 20 years of AmeriCorps service with our resident alumni, and be encouraged to volunteer at any time with friends, family, and fellow Federationists.
Since you’re already here, why not stick around and be a part of a proud moment in Federation history as a constitution is formalized, officers are elected, and a division is created.

Calling all Federation stars and starlets!
Support the Community Service Group as we begin a new chapter in becoming an official division of the NFB! We are hosting a fantastic Fourth of July Limo Party, with none other than Mr. Anil Lewis as our esteemed NFB celebrity guest! Five lucky Federationists will be picked from our raffle to accompany us for an action-packed Fourth of July evening, from 6:30 to 10:30, including a limo ride to the Orlando CityWalk, a nice drive around downtown, and topped off with a huge Fourth of July festival in downtown Orlando. Awesome food, live music, and a fireworks show! That's not all!!! What would make this evening more memorable? Sharing this unique experience with your own special guest. Bring your best friend! Bring a date! Winners will be drawn on Thursday, July 3, at the Community Service Group Seminar. You do not need to be in attendance to win. The time to enter the raffle is very limited and will be gone before you know it. Keep an ear out for our Community Service Group reps and get entered while you have the chance. Entries are $10 and all we need is your full name and cell phone number. We will also be selling raffle entries at the Community Service Seminar. Good luck!

Saturday, July 5.  Trivia Night- Sponsored by the Community Service Group (Applying for division status), Salon 9, level 2. $10 individual entry fee
Two fun-filled sessions for the busy convention-goer (6:15-7:30 and 7:45-9:00).
Two heads are better than one? try eight!
Test your knowledge in group Trivia and win a cash prize! (The more entrants, the more the pay-out to the winning team!)
 Bring a team of eight with you, or just come ready to make some new friends. Proceeds benefit future division programs/ Activities.
Darian Smith
Chairperson, Community Service Group -National Federation  of The Blind.
(415)215-9809
dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Twitter: @goldengateace
between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve”
 - Albert Schweitzer.

Your  unwanted vehicle can be  just what the blind need to make possibilities reality.