[Nfbnet-members-list] January Braille Monitor

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue Jan 7 02:37:11 UTC 2014

Start the new year right by reading the January Braille Monitor.  By
tradition, many people start the new year by examining themselves and
setting out goals for improvements for the coming year. The January
Braille Monitor offers practical advice as well as food for
reflection for the coming year.

Some examples of practical advice are "Our Rights and Their
Responsibilities: Access to Prescription Label Information" by Mike
Freeman and "The AccessaMed Digital Audio Label: The Accessible
Prescription Drug Labeling Choice" by Les Fitzpatrick.  Although the
article "Intuitive Eating: Enjoy your Food, Respect Your Body" by
Linda Bacon and Judith Matz, was intended for the diabetic audience
it contains valuable information for everyone who eats.  The article
by Sean Whalen, "University Says No to Google," is a call to action
for all students.

In the pause for reflection category there are several articles
examining attitudes.  "Oh My, Dr. Asch was Right" by Patty Estes is a
poignant article about the attitudes of medical professionals. Check
out "How Disability Simulations Promote Damaging Stereotypes," by
Toby Olson for another interesting attitudinal prospective.  A great
mantra for the new year is the article by Mary Fernandez entitled
"How Daring to Believe Changed My Life and How it Can Change Yours."

Sharon Maneki