[Nfbnet-members-list] Check Out The April Braille Monitor

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat Apr 5 23:33:23 UTC 2014

Check out the April Braille Monitor at
https://nfb.org/braille-monitor. This edition of the Braille Monitor
has wit, inspiration, and practical tips. You especially will not
want to miss New Service Animals for the Blind.

On a more serious note, there are several articles that illustrate
the importance of high expectations and the damage of low
expectations. Growing Up Blind by Jan Bailey and Standing on My Own
by Megan Bening illustrate the important role that parents play in
setting high expectations for their blind children. The articles
Crying Over Spilled Milk by Parnell Diggs and Carol's Compliment by
Angela Howard demonstrate why we need to continue our struggle to get
the public to raise its expectations about the capabilities of the blind.

Three articles that emphasize that the struggle to achieve our dreams
is well worth it are Life Lessons From a Tree by Cayte Mendez,
Self-Advocacy in Spain: Curiosity, Confidence, and Commitment by
Cheley Duranleau, and The Challenges in Going Blind and Learning to
Live Again by Kim Tindal. The hope and encouragement offered by Kim
Tindal is not only helpful to the newly blind, but is also a good
reminder for all of us.

The practical tips in Apple Core by Susan Povinelli will be helpful
to those who want to use BARD and read on their Apple devices. There
truly is something for everyone in the Braille Monitor.

Sharon Maneki