[Nfbnet-members-list] Stella Wins! Stella Wins!

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Fri May 31 00:26:35 UTC 2013

Subject line:  Stella Wins!  Stella Wins!

Almost two months ago, I asked people to view a
video/short film made by Stella Kyriakopoulos, a
graduate film major at NYU.  Her short film, "Bob
Goes to the Parthenon," was based on a story I
wrote for the Braille Monitor back in 2005
entitled, "Another Wonder."  That story
described how I'd asked for permission, and was
given it, to actually walk within the Parthenon,
the ancient temple on the Acropolis in Athens, Greece.

Stella made her video as a project for her
graduate work, and also to enter into the Greek
America Foundation Short Film Contest.  I asked
for people to view the video online, and to vote
"like" on it, those votes to help decide the winner of the contest.

And I'm very happy to announce that Stella's
short film won first place in the contest!  That
was announced at the Foundation's film festival
in Toronto, Canada, on May 12.  Your votes
helped, but also the verdict included input from
film critics at the festival.  Obviously,
Stella's video was a superior product, that she's
the real winner in all this, and her recognition
should help her in her future career of film production.

Thanks for all your support and for your
votes.  And thanks to Rick Boggs, President, West
Coast Vanguard Chapter, NFB of California,
there's now an audio-described version of the
video.  That can be viewed using the password "mistiko" at:

<https://vimeo.com/64765881>https://vimeo.com/64765881

And if you're interested in the original story
from the Braille Monitor, it can be viewed at:

<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm05/bm0501/bm050103.htm>https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm05/bm0501/bm050103.htm

Thanks again to everyone,

Robert Gardner

NFB of Illinois