[Nfbnet-members-list] Braille Book Fair Volunteers Needed

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri Mar 22 01:44:34 UTC 2013

From: Krystal, Coordinator, 2013 Braille Book Fair
kguillory at lcb-ruston.com
Cell: 318.245.8955

To:  Supporters and past workers at the Braille Book Fair

Re:  Volunteer workers
Where: NFB Convention, Orlando  FL
When:  Wednesday July 3, 2013
Times:  Set-up: Noon - 4:30 pm    Event:  4:30 -
7:00 pm    Clean-up:  6:30 - 8:00 pm
Room location:  See the NFB agenda

When you reply to this message, please provide the following information:
·        YES...I can work the following shift(s):__________________
·        My cell phone number that I will have at
convention is:____________________
·        I live in (state):_________________
·        MAYBE.....I'll check my schedule.  If
possible, my preference is to work these hours ____________
·        Braille skills (including if you read by
touch or by sight as a sighted person)_______________
·        NO...I can't work this year.
Note:  If you are a parent of a blind child under
the age 18 (or still in high school or below), we
know that you will want to attend the NOPBC
Annual Meeting which takes place just before the
BBF, but we would welcome you to work either
during the event or on the clean-up shift after the event.

The Braille Book Fair has become one of the
highlights of the convention for many teachers,
parents, blind kids, blind parents, and adult
beginning Braille readers.  But the event could
not take place without the help of many
dedicated, talented volunteers.  And that's where
you come in.  As a past worker, or simply
interested supporter of the Braille Book Fair, I
hope you can either volunteer, or give me the
contact information for someone that you recommend.

You do not need to work the entire afternoon or
evening, but I do ask that you try to work an
entire shift.  We especially need for people who
help customers to come BEFORE we open the doors
at 5:00 pm, and to commit to staying until at least 6:30 pm.

We need volunteers throughout the afternoon and
evening for the following shifts and work responsibilities:

Noon - 2:00 pm Open boxes, sort boxes, unpack
boxes.  Sort and clean-up empty boxes for re-use, tape together new boxes:

2:00 - 3:30 pm Sort books, pair up volumes, weed
out and/or toss unusable books or other materials.
(NOTE: Some good Braille readers are especially
needed for this shift.  Also need "runners" to
take boxes, books, etc. to other locations in the room as they are needed)

3:30 - 4:30 pm Continue sorting, display books on
tables, store overflow books on floor & under tables
(NOTE: Some good Braille readers are especially
needed for this shift  Also need "runners" to
take boxes, books, etc. to other locations in the room as they are needed)

4:30 - 5:00 pm Choose a section of tables to
work, familiarize yourself with the titles, shift volumes around if needed
(NOTE: Some good Braille readers are especially
needed for this shift. Also need "runners" to
take boxes, books, etc. to other locations in the room as they are needed.)

5:00 - 7:00 pm The Event, Job A:  Assist
Customers... with locating books, make sure
customers take all volumes of a title.  Act as
“talking sign” for categories on your
tables.  Serve as mentor to those who look as if
they need assistance.  Place more books on the
tables as space becomes available.
(NOTE: Some good Braille readers are especially
needed for this shift.  Also need "runners" to
take boxes, books, etc. to other locations in the room as they are needed.)

5:00 - 7:30 pm The Event, Job B:  Pack Books...
up for customers for shipping to their
homes.  Write labels, stamp "Free Matter" on
boxes, tape up boxes, and stack boxes.

6:30 - 8:00 pm (We are frequently done by 7:00
pm) Clean-up trash.  Toss or box-up leftover
books.  Label boxes for shipment back to
NFB.  Stack boxes and/or move them for later pick-up by UPS.

Thanks so much for taking time to consider this
request, and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Krystal Guillory, Coordinator, 2013 Braille Book Fair
kguillory at lcb-ruston.com
Cell:  318.245.8955