[Nfbnet-members-list] ABA-3D] Monster.com agreement w/NFB announced

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri Feb 1 02:57:30 UTC 2013

Subject: [ABA-3D] Monster.com agreement w/NFB announced

FOR IMMEDIATE
RELEASE

<http://MONSTER.COM>MONSTER.COM FIRST IN INDUSTRY
TO MAKE WEBSITE ACCESSIBLE FOR BLIND USERS

Effort a Result of Agreement Between Monster
Worldwide and the Attorney General’s Office and
National Federation of the Blind; First Job
Search Website to Be Fully Accessible

BOSTON – The popular job search website
<http://Monster.com>Monster.com will be the first
job search and recruitment website in the
industry to provide job seekers who are blind
with full and equal access to all of its products
and services including mobile applications,
Attorney General Martha Coakley, Monster
Worldwide, Inc. and the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) announced today.

The announcement is the result of an agreement
with the AG’s Office and the NFB and provides
meaningful benefit to individuals nationwide who
are blind or visually impaired, including more
than 35,000 residents in Massachusetts. As part
of the agreement, Monster will contribute $50,000
to the Commonwealth that will be used to fund the
Massachusetts Commission for the Blind’s (MCB)
job internship program. Monster will also make a
$50,000 contribution to the NFB and serve as the
title sponsor of the NFB’s annual convention in 2013.

“Unemployment and underemployment in the blind
community are significant problems and given the
extent to which computers and the Internet have
become integral to our daily lives, it is
essential that websites are accessible to
everyone,” AG Coakley said. “We are pleased to
have worked with the NFB and Monster to make the
company’s valuable products and services
accessible and to provide better employment
opportunities to job seekers who are blind,
visually impaired or have other print
disabilities such as dyslexia.  We are hopeful
that with the ability to access written
information in an audible text to speech format,
these users will now have access to jobs, and
better jobs, than ever before.  We want
technology to improve people’s lives, not create obstacles or barriers.”

“Over the past year, a team at Monster has been
working closely with teams from the National
Federation of the Blind and the Massachusetts
Attorney General’s Office to enhance our
<http://Monster.com>Monster.com website in a way
that will provide more opportunities for blind
job seekers to find jobs,” said Mark Conway,
Chief Information Officer, Monster Worldwide.
“Although portions of our site were already
accessible, we all agreed we could do more. Based
on the work of these teams, the
<http://Monster.com>Monster.com site will be
enhanced to make its website and mobile
applications accessible to blind job seekers.
This has been an enormous undertaking and is an
exciting accomplishment for which we can all be proud.”

“The National Federation of the Blind works for
full and equal access by blind Americans to all
forms of digital information,” said Dr. Marc
Maurer, President of the National Federation of
the Blind. “Access to digital information and
applications is critical to success in the
twenty-first century in all areas of life,
including searching and applying for career
opportunities. We are therefore pleased that
Monster is making this commitment to full and
equal access to its website and mobile
applications. We also thank the Attorney General
of Massachusetts for being such a strong partner
and advocate for accessibility.”

“We are excited to partner with Monster and the
National Federation of the Blind to provide
access to job opportunities available to
individuals who are blind,” said Commissioner
Janet LaBreck of the Massachusetts Commission for
the Blind. “The MCB internship program enables
individuals the opportunity to access early work
experience.  Utilizing accessible technology
available on Monster’s website to conduct a job
search ensures that individuals who are blind can
independently and successfully perform the same
tasks as other job seeking candidates.”

To make its website and mobile applications
accessible to job seekers who are blind, Monster
is  making them compatible with innovative
technology called screen access software that
renders on-screen information into Braille or
speech so that blind individuals can use keyboard
commands to access the same information as sighted users.

In accordance with the agreement, Monster is in
the process of making its desktop and mobile
websites fully and equally accessible and will
have its mobile applications accessible within
two years. Monster has also ensured the templates
employers use to post job advertisements on its
site will be fully and equally accessible within six months.

Monster will also train its customer service
representatives to assist users who are blind and
will establish a standing committee to oversee
implementation of the agreement and other issues
related to accessibility in the future. In
addition, Monster has agreed to work with the NFB
to encourage higher education programs to
incorporate accessible design and assistive
technology in to their core curricula.

             The agreement is the most recent
result of collaboration between AG Coakley’s
Office and the NFB. Past collaborations have
included making Apple’s iTunes services and
Cardtronics ATMs fully and equally accessible to the blind.

             State and federal laws not only
prohibit disparate treatment of individuals with
disabilities in employment and housing, but also
require that all businesses operating places of
public accommodation provide people with
disabilities with full and equal enjoyment of
their goods, services, and facilities.

<http://Monster.com>Monster.com is the worldwide
leader in connecting people to jobs and provides
a full array of job seeking, career management,
recruitment and talent management products and
services in more than 40 countries.

This matter was handled by Assistant Attorney
General Genevieve C. Nadeau and Paralegal Bethany
Brown of Attorney General Coakley’s Civil Rights
Division, and Assistant Attorney General Maura
Healey, Chief of Attorney General Coakley’s
Public Protection and Advocacy Bureau.