[Nfbnet-members-list] Help Stella Win the Greek America Foundation Short Film Contest!

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 16:17:00 UTC 2013

On my first visit to Greece some years ago, I
stood on top of the Acropolis in Athens with my
wife, Nancy.  I was disappointed to find
ourselves at a fence in front of the
Parthenon.  That marked the point as to how close
tourists could get to the Parthenon.  You
couldn't go into it, you could only look at
it.  Which meant for me, someone blind, that I
couldn't really experience the Parthenon at all.

Several years later, Nancy and I again visited
Greece.  This time, however, I had written to
various authorities asking permission to be
allowed to go beyond the fence and at least touch
the Parthenon.  And believe it or not, permission
was given, and it actually happened!  In fact, I
was not only allowed to just touch the marble of
that famous temple, but was given a tour inside it.

I wrote an article describing that adventure, and
it was published in the Braille Monitor, the
magazine of The National Federation of the
Blind.  My story, Another  Wonder, can be read at

<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm05/bm0501/bm050103.htm>https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm05/bm0501/bm050103.htm

I was contacted late last year by Stella
Kyriakopoulos, a Greek-American graduate film
major at New York University.  She wanted to
create a short film for her University work, and
also to enter in the Greek America Foundation
Film and Photo Week short film contest.  Stella,
who is not handicapped, decided to have as her
theme for her short film ,of all things, a
visually impaired tourist visiting Greece.

By some very diligent searching on the web, or
maybe by some miracle, she ran across my article
published back in 2005.  After many E-mails, many
phone calls, a visit by Stella to Athens, and a
visit by her to my home, she produced her ten-minute video for the contest.

Her short film entitle "Bob Goes to the
Parthenon," is essentially a documentary of my
story, "Another Wonder."  The video includes
interviews Stella made with the Greek citizens I
met and talked about in that story, those
interviews done in Athens and even on top of the
Acropolis.  In Stella's visit to my home, she
videoed me giving my thoughts and views on
blindness, on the need for those blind to aspire
to independence, and also shows me doing everyday
tasks around my home that some might think a blind person couldn't do.

I invite you to watch the video at the website,
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cAWTc5sSCE&list=PLVBcTpng8Az22T2VrOaPsp5AWQBrraEgj&index=1>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cAWTc5sSCE&list=PLVBcTpng8Az22T2VrOaPsp5AWQBrraEgj&index=1

An alternative way to watch the video and vote
"like" for it is to go to the website
<http://www.youtube.com>www.youtube.com, then put
in Bob goes to the Parthenon into the search
box.  Once that opens, click on the link to 2013 GFFW short film contest.

Stella put her heart and soul into her video,
making trips from New York to Athens, and New
York to Illinois.  Let's help her win the short
film contest by voting "like" on the YouTube
website.  And don't hesitate to forward this
message to your friends and family.

Note:  for those using a screen reader, you may
have some difficulty on the YouTube website
finding where to click on "like."  I know I did,
using JAWS.  Unfortunately, I have no tips on how
to facilitate that other than perhaps getting some sighted help.

Bob Gardner

Blackhawk Chapter

NFB of Illinois