[Nfbnet-members-list] NFB Employment Committee Meeting

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Thu Jun 28 22:23:16 UTC 2012

NFB Employment Committee Meeting
7:00 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday July 3, 2012
Fleur-de-lis B Room, Atrium Mezzanine

Message from the Chair:
I want to apologize for not having this out to
all of you sooner.  I was doing okay, but then I
was in a car accident that broke my right foot,
wiped out a week of work, sent me to multiple
doctors’ appointments, and completely sapped my
energy.  Things continue to get better, so I will
be able to do more as the year progresses.
Dick Davis

Charge to the Committee from Dr. Maurer:
“Since the time of the beginning of the
Federation, one of the functions we have
performed has been to connect individuals who are
looking for employment with employers that have
jobs.  It is the task of this committee to
collect information about jobs that become
available and to provide this information to
individuals who would be suitable to do the
work.  Jobs in the blindness field are very often
filled without our becoming aware of them.  The
committee should attempt to collect this
information and distribute it to those who need to know.”

2012 Employment Committee Meeting Agenda

There are three elements to this year’s
agenda.  The first is a discussion on the
committee and its projects.  The second is a
series of presentations from organizations with
programs that can help blind people get
jobs.  The third is job exchange announcements by
people who know of job vacancies and by blind
people who are looking for employment. The agenda
will remain flexible to accommodate all
three.  That means we may need to interrupt
ongoing discussion to hear a presentation or
announcement.  It also means that those needing
to make presentations or announcements may need
to wait for a gap in the committee’s deliberations before they can do so.

1) Discussion about the Committee and its projects:

Since this is the first committee meeting we have
had in a long time, we need to spend much of it
in a discussion about the committee’s function
and projects for the upcoming year.  Some proposed topics for discussion:

·       What should the Employment Committee’s function(s) be?  (And not be?)
·       What things should we do to increase the employment of blind people?
·       What kinds of projects should we do over
the next year or two?  If so, who should be responsible for them?
·       Should we have our own web page, either
by itself, or in conjunction with the Jernigan
institute or another committee or division?
·       Is the Jobs Listserv doing what we want
it to do, and if so, how well?  Are there any changes we should make?
·       Should we have some sort of job bank for
employers to post to?  If so, how would it
operate, and who would be responsible for it?
·       Are there partnerships that we should
develop with other committees and divisions?  One
possible partnership would be with the Writer’s
Division on Where the Blind Work.
·       Should we develop new partnerships with
rehabilitation and workforce investment agencies?
·       Do we need a budget, and if so, should we
fundraise?  Charge admission to the employment seminar?  Other ideas?
·       Should we have some officers besides the
chair, such as a vice-chair, secretary-treasurer, etc.?
·       What ideas do members have for the 2013 National Employment Seminar?
·       Anything else we should add to this list?

This is, of course, a huge list, and it is
unlikely that we will get all the way through it
in one meeting.  We will need to have other
meetings via conference call as the year
progresses, but at least we can make a start.

2) Presentations:

Committee members are welcome to ask questions of
the presenters and discuss ways in which their
programs could benefit blind jobseekers.

Career Advantage for V.I.P.s and An Employment
Mentoring Project for College Students who are
Legally Blind.  Jamie O’Mally, PhD, Assistant
Research Professor, The National Research and
Training Center on Blindness and Low Vision, Mississippi State University.

Where The Blind Work.  A great database and
mentoring resource for blind career explorers and
job seekers.  Robert Leslie Newman, President,
NFB Writer’s Division and Employment Committee Member.

NFB Training Centers Prepare Blind People for
Employment.  Pam Allen, Executive Director, Louisiana Center for the Blind.

Hiring and Employment Innovations. Kevin D.
Daniel, Sr. Director of Strategic Recruiting, Seattle Lighthouse for the Blind.

Bookshare.  Christine K. Jones, Education Program
Manager, Bookshare - a Benetech Initiative,
<http://www.bookshare.org/>www.bookshare.org

Workforce Investment Wants You Too!  L. Earl
Woolbright, ISA Manager, Texas Workforce Commission.

Implementing the Evidence-Based Supported
Employment Model of Vocational Services to Those
Who Have Visual Impairments.  Suzanne Turner,
BSW, MPA, Employment Coordinator and Alexis
Vinick, BA, MPN, Employment Generalist, Cleveland Sight Center.

3) Job Exchange:

Handled on an ad hoc basis, as information
becomes available: please let the chair or his
designee know if you have a job vacancy you want
to announce, or if you are looking for a specific
job, and we'll work you into the
agenda.  Periodically we'll ask if anyone has an announcement to make.