[Nfbnet-members-list] Fwd: Goodwill Boycott Action Alert

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed Jun 13 15:03:40 UTC 2012

Dear Fellow Federationist: As you know, we are working to pass H.R.
3086, the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of 2011. This
bill phases out the subminimum wage provisions of the Fair Labor
Standards Act over a three-year period. As of today, we have forty-six
supporting organizations and seventy-eight cosponsors. Goodwill
Industries International not only refuses to support this bill but has
been advocating against fair wages for disabled Americans. Paying people
with disabilities less than the minimum wage is unfair, discriminatory,
and immoral. On June 7, we announced a nationwide boycott of all
Goodwill stores. Please continue the boycott and urge others to do the
same. Second, please contact your local Goodwill affiliate and transmit
or deliver the attached letter from Dr. Maurer to both the president and
entire local Goodwill board of directors. Urge the board of directors to
(1) adopt and publicize policies against the payment of subminimum
wages, and (2) endorse H.R. 3086. Third, contact your local media and
tell them about the subminimum wages, Goodwill, and the boycott. Ask
them to report on this subject. Be sure to keep us apprised of your
activity by emailing us at fairwages at nfb.org<mailto:fairwages at nfb.org>.
We will not rest until the law that permits the payment of subminimum
wages to people with disabilities is repealed. Mr. Anil Lewis, M.P.A.
"Eliminating Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities"
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Fair_Wages_For_Workers_With_Disabilities.asp