[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Urges Senate to Ratify Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Wed Jun 6 00:23:38 UTC 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Urges Senate to Ratify
Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities

Baltimore, Maryland (June 5, 2012): <http://www.nfb.org/>The National
Federation of the Blind, the nation's oldest and largest organization
of blind people, today urged the United States Senate to ratify the
<http://www.un.org/disabilities/convention/conventionfull.shtml>United
Nation's Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which
is intended to protect the rights of persons with disabilities
throughout the world.

<http://www.nfb.org/marc-maurer-bio>Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the
<http://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind>National
Federation of the Blind, said: "As an
<http://www.nfb.org/about-the-nfb>organization comprised of blind
people advocating for ourselves, we know the critical importance of
laws, regulations, and policies that protect our rights and allow us
to fully and equally participate in society.  All people with
disabilities, in every country, deserve equal rights and an equal
opportunity to contribute to society.  We urge the U.S. Senate to
ratify this convention immediately so that the dignity and rights of
all disabled people are recognized and protected."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.