[Nfbnet-members-list] United States Secretary of Transportation to Address Convention of National Federation of the Blind

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Tue Jun 5 03:40:34 UTC 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

United States Secretary of Transportation to Address
Convention of National Federation of the Blind

Baltimore, Maryland (June 4, 2012): The <http://www.nfb.org/>National
Federation of the Blind, the nation's largest organization of blind
Americans, is pleased to announce that the Honorable Ray LaHood,
United States Secretary of Transportation, will address some 3,000
attendees of the <http://www.nfb.org/national-convention>NFB National
Convention in Dallas this summer.  Secretary LaHood will speak to the
gathering on the afternoon of Tuesday, July 3, at 4:30 p.m. CDT.

<http://www.nfb.org/marc-maurer-bio>Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the
National Federation of the Blind, said: "We are pleased to welcome
Secretary LaHood, a longtime friend to blind Americans, to our
convention. The ability to <http://quietcars.nfb.org/>travel safely
and independently is critical to the blind, and effective and
rigorously enforced transportation policy is needed to secure this
right.  We look forward to hearing Secretary LaHood's thoughts on
this important topic."

Secretary LaHood said: "The President has called on us to build an
America where everyone gets a fair shot and everyone does their fair
share.  That starts with providing quality transportation options to
all communities, ensuring that all Americans have the opportunity to
get where they need to go, whether it's to work, school or the
doctor.  I look forward to discussing the work that DOT is doing to
ensure those opportunities with the
<https://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind>National
Federation of the Blind."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.