[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Condemns Lack of Access to New Kindle Fire

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Fri Sep 30 07:53:18 UTC 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Condemns
  Lack of Access to New Kindle Fire

Baltimore, Maryland (September 29, 2011): The National Federation of
the Blind commented today on the release of Amazon's new Kindle Fire,
which cannot be used by people who are blind.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "Blind Americans have repeatedly asked Amazon to include
accessibility for the blind in its Kindle product line.  The
feasibility of including accessibility in similar products has been
demonstrated.  The Department of Education and the Department of
Justice have made it clear that Kindle devices cannot be purchased by
educational institutions, libraries, and other entities covered by
this country's disability laws unless the devices are fully
accessible.  Despite all this, Amazon has released a brand new Kindle
device, the Kindle Fire, which cannot be used by people who are
blind.  Enough!  We condemn this latest action by Amazon and
reiterate that we will not tolerate technological
discrimination.  The National Federation of the Blind seeks nothing
less than equal access to all technology for blind people.  It is one
of the most critical civil rights issues facing blind Americans in
the twenty-first century, and we will do everything in our power to
see that this right is secured."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.