[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Congratulates Blind Driver Experience Participants

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Sat Jun 25 03:14:59 UTC 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Congratulates
Blind Driver Experience Participants

Baltimore, Maryland (June 24, 2011): The National
Federation of the Blind (NFB), the oldest and
largest nationwide organization of blind people,
today congratulated the thirty people who won the
honor of participating in the Blind Driver
Experience.  On Tuesday, July 5, from 1–6:00
p.m., as part of the NFB National Convention in
Orlando, the winners will get the
once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to ride in the
Blind Driver Challenge™ car equipped with
nonvisual technology (the same car that was
driven on the famed Daytona International Speedway on January 29, 2011).

The participants of the Blind Driver Experience
will be driven in the official Blind Driver
Challenge™ vehicle by Mark Riccobono, executive
director of the NFB Jernigan Institute, and the
first blind person to drive a street vehicle in public.

The Blind Driver Experience is an initiative of
the NFB Imagination Fund, which supports the
education, technology, and research projects of
the NFB Jernigan Institute, as well as programs
conducted by the fifty-two affiliates and over
seven-hundred local chapters of the Federation.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “We greatly
appreciate the hard work of our Blind Driver
Experience participants, as well as our other
Imagination Fund contributors.  With their help,
we are able to create innovative research,
training, education, and technology programs that
improve the lives of the blind and move us closer
to our ultimate goal of full integration into society on a basis of equality.”

Parnell Diggs, chairman of the Imagination Fund,
said: “We congratulate our Blind Driver
Experience participants, and thank them for a job
well done.  It is vital that we raise the funds
we need to operate the programs of the National
Federation of the Blind.  Those who registered to
be Imaginators and raised at least $1,000 by June 15 have our gratitude."

The top ten individuals in overall dollars raised
as of June 15 were automatically selected to
participate in the Blind Driver Experience.  The
remaining twenty spots were drawn at random from
the pool of individuals who raised at least
$1,000 for the Imagination Fund by June 15, and
who plan to be in attendance at the
convention.  Each individual winner is invited to
bring three guests, and if for some reason a
winner cannot participate, the ride is transferable.

The Blind Driver Experience winners are listed below:

Top Ten
    * John Paré (MD)
    * Mary Ellen Jernigan (MD)
    * Parnell Diggs (SC)
    * Jack & Pat Munson (CA)
    * Patti Gregory-Chang (IL)
    * Ann-Marie Laney (MD)
    * Joe Ruffalo (NJ)
    * Dwight Sayer (FL)
    * Lindsay Adair (TX)
    * Scott LaBarre (CO)

Eleven through thirty were drawn and announced
Wednesday evening on ThruOurEyes with Joe Ruffalo.

    * Ever Lee Hairston (CA)
    * C. Edwin Vaughan (CA)
    * Denise Avant (IL)
    * Gary & Debbie Wunder (MO)
    * Kim Diggs (SC)
    * William Jacobs (MD)
    * Debra Canty (SC)
    * Dan Burke (MT)
    * Carl & Mindy Jacobsen (NY)
    * Patricia Maurer (MD)
    * Barbara Pierce (OH)
    * Kathleen Byrd (NM)
    * Anthony Cobb (MD)
    * Garrick Scott (GA)
    * Dr. & Mrs. Capps (SC)
    * Mark Riccobono (MD)
    * Ed Morman (MD)
    * Julaine Arient-Rollman (SD)
    * Kayleigh Joiner (TX)
    * Kimberly Flores (TX)

For more information about the Blind Driver
Experience, please visit
<http://www.blinddriverchallenge.org/>www.blinddriverchallenge.org.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National
Federation of the Blind is the largest and most
influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves
blind people’s lives through advocacy, education,
research, technology, and programs encouraging
independence and self-confidence.  It is the
leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004
the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.