[Nfbnet-members-list] Last Call for the NFB Blind Driver Challenge

Blind Driver Challenge BDC at nfb.org
Mon Dec 27 22:28:47 UTC 2010

Last Call for the NFB Blind Driver Challenge

The official start time for our NFB Blind Driver Challenge
demonstration has been set for 11:30 AM on January 29, 2011, at the
Daytona International Speedway preceding the Rolex 24 at
Daytona.  This historic demonstration of a blind person independently
driving an automobile will be a tremendous exhibition of the capacity
of a blind person using innovative nonvisual access technology to
perform a task most people thought impossible for a blind
person.  The foundation of many misperceptions about blind people and
blindness will be shaken. If you plan to be a part of this exciting
event, there are three things you need to do right away.

1) Let us know you will be attending.
There is a lot of planning taking place to ensure that our members
have an opportunity to participate in this effort.  For example, we
will be transporting our members from the event hotel to the track in
the morning, and back to the hotel in the afternoon.  In order to
ensure we make the appropriate accommodations, we need to know how
many of our members will be in attendance.  So, if you plan to be in
the NFB grandstands to watch the first demonstration of a blind
person independently driving a car, please e-mail us at
<mailto:bdc at nfb.org>bdc at nfb.org, or call Kristian Kuhnke at (410)
659-9314, ext. 2219.

2) Make your room reservations.
Discounted lodging has been negotiated at three adjacent hotel
properties, and rooms are going fast.  A minimum stay of two nights
for January 28-30, 2011, is required to take advantage of the
discounted rate.  The Plaza Ocean Club Hotel is the main hotel and
rooms are available at a cost of $103, or $149 for ocean-front
rooms.  Reservations must be made by December 29, 2010.  To make a
reservation, please call (386) 239-9800 and ask for the National
Federation of the Blind pricing.

3) Purchase your race ticket.
Everyone must purchase a race ticket in order to gain access to the
track to witness the Blind Driver Challenge demonstration.  The $30
Race Rewards package will afford you access to the grandstands, the
Sprint FanZone, along with other benefits.  Additional options are
available for avid race fans.  Tickets can be purchased by calling
1-800-PITSHOP (1-800-748-7467) by January 23, 2011.
You can obtain more information about the NFB Blind Driver Challenge,
as well as additional information about other ticket and lodging
options, by visiting
<http://www.blinddriverchallenge.org/>www.blinddriverchallenge.org.
Hope to see you in Daytona.