[gui-talk] [Electronics-Talk] question about JFW Outlook and reading off addresses

steve.jacobson at visi.com steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Oct 6 20:23:57 UTC 2017

Rebecca,

I am writing this response to both lists.  If you are using Office 365, the
problem you are noticing is almost certainly an Outlook issue.  I am having
the same problem.  In the latest Freedom Scientific podcast, Eric Damery
stated that Microsoft changed how they communicated the AutoComplete
information such that JAWS does not pick it up.  I found that neither the
latest build of JAWS 18 or JAWS 17 reads this information any longer.  He
stated that there would be an update for JAWS 18 that will fix this and that
the JAWS 2018 Public Beta 2 will also fix this.  It appears to me that the
2018 Public Beta 2 does seem to correct this.

Those of us using Office 365 get updates pushed to us without any sort of
notice, and things can change.  In meetings I have with Microsoft, I plan to
ask how the negative impacts of changes like this are fed back to
developers.  Of course they should not happen, but they do and they will.
Somehow their development teams need to understand that issues like this
cause many of us to spend time trying to figure out what we are doing wrong,
what we accidentally changed, not to mention writing to lists for help when
it was a Microsoft change.

One thing I have noticed with Outlook is that when there is an update that
was pushed out, we often get the chance to find out what is now even more
exciting.  This is a sign that one might want to be aware of anything that
works differently.

I am finding the JAWS 2018 Public Beta versions to be pretty stable.  That
might be the quickest way to fix this problem.  It is not clear to me from
the Podcast when the next build of JAWS 18 will be out, and also, whether
there will be an update notice.  One might need to check the web site now
and then to see if a newer build is available.  Others closer to the JAWS
update cycles may have better information.  I would have had no idea of why
this was happening if I had not decided to listen to the podcast this
morning.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson