[gui-talk] Another Update on my JAWS Independence

Jen spiderweb1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 9 14:02:06 UTC 2017

Another update on my JAWS independence. Although I've been using JAWS for
over ten years now, I'm still learning...

Background. I like to have my headphones up at a high volume so I can hear
everything. When I turned my computer on and turned my headphones up, the
sound in the right speaker disappeared, but the left one stayed. At first, I
panicked but then figured out the balance must be off somehow. So I did some
Googling, found instructions and adjusted the balance. I fixed them!

For the benefit of all of you, here are the steps for how I did it. I thnk
you can also perform these steps with other sound devices.

1. Press Insert, F11 tg to the list of system tray items.
2. A context menu appears. Press Enter on "Sounds."
3. Jnow, you are int "Sounds" program in the Control Panel. Press CTRL, Tab
until you hear say, "Playback page."
4. JAWS says, "Select a playback device below to modify it settings" and
lists your playback devices; make sure your headphone is selected by
pressing Space. In my case, it's "Headset Earphone."
5. Press Enter on "Properties."
6. Go to the "Levels" page.
7. Press AlT, B to press the "Balance" button.
8. Adjust the sliders so the balance of the speakers is how you like it. For
instance, I like both "1" and "2" (speakers 1 and 2) to both be at 90
percent.