[gui-talk] SlingTV on AppleTV TVOS 10.x

Hoffman, Allen allen.hoffman at hq.dhs.gov
Fri Nov 4 18:48:18 UTC 2016

All:
Just sending this out to see if others are experiencing poor response from this company regarding accessibility of this app on the Apple TV platform.  If so I'd like to strategize on how we can collaboratively get them to take this issue seriously and remediate it in a timely fashion.

I have subscribed to the SlingTV service for a few months now.  The service provides an app for the Apple TV 4th generation which essentially allows you to receive many TV channels to watch as you would with a set-top-box.  The service is less money than the equivalent set-top-box solution from Version FIOS or COX, or Commcast.  My understanding is that Commcast and COX have accessible set-top-boxes, but not Verizon--sad, sad.  Although when released on TVOS 9.x it had some accessibility gaps, e.g. channels were not named, only numbered, and a few other annoying things, it "could" be used with some effort.

When Apple upgraded TVOS in September to v10.x however, the SlingTV app simply closes randomly when VoiceOver is used--but doesn't work more than 5 to 10 voiceover navigations ever.  This makes the service pretty well useless for any VoiceOver user on the AppleTV platform.

I have requested it be fixed, and first received complete ignorance of the AppleTV platform even, then acceptance of the problem, but cannot get any expected remediation date from the company--and at this point have no confidents its being worked diligently as one update to the app came out and the company said the fixes for this were not included in it.  Frankly if companies can't provide remediation dates then its only wishful thinking.

Wondering if this can be a CVAA compliance gap?  Section 255 issue?  Other, ADA?

Anyone else using SlingTV on Apple TV with latest TVOS?

Is it working with VoiceOver enabled?