[gui-talk] Windows 10 computer

Gregory D. Rosenberg gregg at ricis.com
Wed Nov 2 02:09:02 UTC 2016

Denise,

Lenovo makes some of the best laptops on the market. They aren’t always cutting edge and they aren’t always the cheapest, but having owned many IBM and Lenovo laptops (both are one-in-the-same maker). I swear by them. HP laptops are often praised for a slightly better screen, but that won’t really matter much for most of us. I have seen Byron and others use a keyboard with a built in computer and appropriate connections for braille readers, headphones, … I am not that familiar with those units.

Today I personally use all Apple hardware. I personally like the tight integration between the operating system and Voice-Over, I have two laptops. One running Windows 10 and one running Windows 7 Enterprise. The later is going away soon, as it is older than Moses and just barely ran Windows 7. I have mucked around with Window Eyes, but have mixed feelings about it for my personal needs. Although I do like the fact I can install it on as many machines as I own..

Apple is a sizable learning curve, as is moving to Windows 10. If you can get your Windows 10 in classic mode, it will feel much closer to Windows 7.

If you need help in setting up Windows 10 in classic mode, I can offer to remote onto your machine or we can hook up someplace face-ti-face.

> On Nov 1, 2016, at 19:43, Denise Avant via gui-talk <gui-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
> I am considering purchasing a new windows computer after many years. I want a small, but powerful laptop, as I use my laptop much the same  most people  a desktop machine. I would like traditional ports, and the ability to expand. Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> P.S.
> I will run a screen reader or two, and scanning software in additon to mainstream software like ms office suite and itunes.

P.S. Text the word BLIND to 85944 to donate $10 to the NFB Imagination Fund via your phone bill.

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

--
73' & 75'
Gregory D. Rosenberg AB9MZ
gregg at ricis.com

RICIS, Inc.
7849 Bristol Park Drive
Tinley Park, IL 60477-4594
http://www.ricis.com

708-267-6664 Cell
708-444-2690 Office
708-444-1115 Fax
(Please call before sending a fax)

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this communication is confidential, private, proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only for the use of the addressee only.  Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately at (708) 444-2690 locally or (866) 742-4777 in the US and Canada.

===== Scanned by FuseMail =====