[gui-talk] [nfbcs] Upgrading to Windows 10

Hoffman, Allen allen.hoffman at hq.dhs.gov
Wed Mar 23 11:51:22 UTC 2016

Just sending along my experience upgrading from windows XP to windows 10 using NVDA and some assistance occasionally.

Had Dell e6400 laptop with windows XP Pro on it.  Purchased a Windows 7 upgrade for $56 to bring it up to Windows 7.  With some assistance upgraded the XP to windows 7, ensured I activated Windows 7 (I thought), and then proceeded to update windows 7 to latest version.  Many problems ensued with getting updates ran, so finally ran upgrade to Windows 10 by downloading the stand-alone kick off windows 10 upgrade package.  After it installed it would not update all the latest pache, tried many ways from Sunday to figure out why not, had put in key during installation, no updates would run.  Finally it turned out it hadn't activated as we thought, upon activation with key on disc all updates ran smoothly.  Error messages in this situation don't say"you are not activated so you don't get updates", they are very consuding.  Note, called Microsoft accessibility helpdesk when experience no updates and they were stumped--but to be honest it was not an accessibility issue so, can't really put that on them.

Experience post update is that it takes a bit of getting used to, start menu is different, if you user local account Cortana doesn't really work, etc, and you need to set IE as your browser or use Firefox for now until Edge is fully accessible.  Using Office 365 with NVDA and I find its pretty darned good.

I would not wait on Windows 10 update if you were thinking it might not be ready, with a bit of forethought you'll be happy with it and it will probably only get better.

Allen Hoffman