[gui-talk] {Spam?} Re: JAWS and Window Eyes Now Owned By the Same Company

Edward Green ergreen1981 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 06:10:09 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I agree with the sentiments expressed here that this is likely to be bad news in the long term for the competitiveness of the Windows screen reader market, and is likely to mean a reduction of innovation and potentially higher prices.

I should say that I’m not a habitual Freedom Scientific basher.  I’ve used JAWS and Window-Eyes since version 4 of each product and still do.  At various times I’ve preferred one over another, but in each version one has been able to accomplish something that the other could not.

There are some concerning business practices in Freedom Scientific that make me believe this won’t be great news for customers, however much David Woo (outgoing CEO of AI Squared and new Vice President of Software Business at VFO) tried to convince us to the contrary on the FSCast podcast.

Firstly, Freedom Scientific prevented braille display manufacturers from creating drivers that would allow earlier versions of their displays to work with later versions of JAWS.  This rendered old but perfectly functional displays obsolete for many users.  For instance, the Baum Vario (called Rabbit in the US I believe) that I purchased in 1999 works with Window-Eyes 9.4 under Windows 10, but it won’t work with anything later than JAWS 10.  Now the cynic in me makes me think FS did this because they also manufacture braille displays, and someone who has been forced to switch will go with the display manufactured by their screen reader company for n easier life.

There’s also Freedom Scientific’s habit of releasing software updates at a particular point in the year.  The accusation has always been that this meant features were held back for inclusion in future updates to keep the money coming in.  This is of course a perfectly reasonable commercial decision, but it is not one taken in the best interests of customers, if you accept that those interests are to have improved accessibility and performance as quickly as possible.

Finally, there is the approach that Freedom Scientific purportedly used to take to making mainstream software accessible.  You can read about it in Chris Hofstadter (former FS employee’s) blog primarily on GW Micro, http://chrishofstader.com/remembering-gw-micro/.  The relevant heading is “The Great GW Micro contribution”.

Now Hofstadter appears to have left FS under a cloud and was largely airbrushed out of history by them in their various JAWS 20th anniversary reminiscences last year as far as I could gather.  But if the article is correct, GW worked collaboratively with the software giants to give us access to products, whereas FS wanted paying.  While again this might be a reasonable commercial decision, it would certainly have led to software becoming accessible more slowly, and these are the people holding the vast majority of the cards in the Windows screen reader industry.

It’s interesting that we are talking about Apple, Android and iOS as competitors to JAWS.  It’s obviously much harder to switch operating systems than screen readers because of the learning curve attached.  15-20 years ago you had a choice of JAWS, Window-Eyes, Window Bridge, Winvision, Automatic Screen Access for Windows, Hal 95, Protalk and Screenpower as paid-for screen readers.  I’m not saying that all of those made for an accessibility utopia, it didn’t and some weren’t viable, but the pressure to innovate because of the competition must provide greater incentives to do so than merely buying up all the talent.

Cheers,

Ed