[gui-talk] Sharepoint Accessibility

Hoffman, Allen allen.hoffman at hq.dhs.gov
Mon Jan 26 12:52:23 UTC 2015

If you are only creating a file store with SharePoint, the accessibility is very good, and usability is not a serious concern.  However, while sharePoint has a low enterprise cost of ownership, once deployed what tends to happen is that other features which are not accessible, and can't easily be made so get picked up without any governance involved so nobody gets to say not to do so due to accessibility problems.  But using sharePoint as a file store is fairly straightforward, but you need SharePoint administrators and support, where you would not need nearly as much for a simple share drive. SharePoint does provide versioning and such as well, check-in/check-out features which are helpful for some tasks.

Allen Hoffman
Deputy Executive Director
The Office of Accessible Systems & Technology
Department of Homeland Security
202-447-0503 (voice)
allen.hoffman at hq.dhs.gov

DHS Accessibility Helpdesk
202-447-0440 (voice)
202-447-0582 (fax)
202-447-5857 (TTY)
accessibility at dhs.gov

This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain sensitive and legally privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please reply immediately to the sender and delete this message.  Thank you.