[gui-talk] identifying a speech synthesizer

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Sep 4 16:14:32 UTC 2014

Mike,

Here is what puzzles me about both of these recordings.  I should probably say that I owned, over a long period of
time, an Echo, a Votrax Personal Speech system, a Sounding Board, a Type 'n' Talk which is different than a Type
'n[' Speak, and a Braille 'n' Speak.  Gosh, I am shuttering at what I have spent over the years when I see this.
What is odd is that the Echo synthesizer tended to inflect with detectable separate pitches.  It sometimes sounded
a little like what autotune does now.  I hear some of that in these recordings as well, but the tone quality does
not sound like an echo.  Who knows, though, what was used for text-to-speech in these demonstrations.  The ability
to shift the voice envelop and the pitch independently on the SSI263 means it can sound quite a bit different with
different settings, even with the same TTS algorithm.  Therefore, I would lean toward the conclusion that this is
probably an SSI263 or possibly Votrax chip with a text-to-speech algorithm that was not commonly in use in the
technologies that we used.  However, it is all guesswork, so I would not bet a huge amount on any conclusion if I
were you.  <smile>

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson