[gui-talk] Commercial IT Blindness Accessibility Issues

Louis Maher ljmaher at swbell.net
Sat Jun 14 01:07:49 UTC 2014

Thank you Allen.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone 713-444-7838
E-mail ljmaher at swbell.net

-----Original Message-----
From: gui-talk [mailto:gui-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Hoffman,
Allen via gui-talk
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2014 5:54 AM
To: Louis Maher; Discussion of the Graphical User Interface, GUI Talk
Mailing List
Subject: Re: [gui-talk] Commercial IT Blindness Accessibility Issues

All:

Access to graphical user interfaces is not the technical challenge it once
was.  Attention to detail when including accessibility within graphical user
interfaces is the challenge now.  We know how to build accessibility in, but
it's a culture change for the IT industry as a whole to do it consistently,
or at all.  The bigger challenge in my mind is that many developer functions
are designed to be very visual in nature, and, to be frank, visual design
for graphical interfaces has taken on a much larger role than it used to for
the old text-based interfaces.

I believe there is room for blind programmers, but focus on database
administration, business logic coding, transaction processing, might be well
worth it for some folks.  I know people are able to develop applications for
mobile devices using very graphical development environments like the
Android developer kit, and the Apple Xcode package.  I know people can
develop Microsoft .net applications using visual Studio.  It is a learning
curve, but frankly, the days of easy report generation programming as a
living for the most part are over.  OK those of you still doing that don't
have a fit I did it too, but old COBOL report generating is going away
slowly but surely in lieu of more visual interface driven user interface
development environments to do the same work in a more interactive way.

Pre-boot encryption is an annoying problem and is not limited to Microsoft's
solution.  I'd have to rate it a low priority on my radar, since as you
mention you can reboot to get password right, and I think over time more
pressure for better solutions will drive this problem in to submission.

A bigger challenge here for many is the use of remote virtuals.  Remote
virtuals don't always support use of screen readers easily, and when they do
it imposes a greater level of complexity for all involved in the support
process than simply getting approval for one product on one workstation.

Finally, the never ending variety of development tool chains can be
continuously problematic for folks--who have to use them.  When one lacks
even annoyingly difficult accessibility, it can really stop folks in their
tracks.  When evaluating accessibility of such environments end to end
access has to be looked at--but is a difficult challenge for evaluators to
figure out since they are not generally developers, but are evaluating
components individually.  At the end of the day, however, if the chain is
broken, you might not be able to use the development environment at all.

Hope that helps.

We have gotten better over the years, but the stuff we got good at was
replaced, so we are starting over with far more complex systems to nail
down.  We have way more products to handle now than in the past, which just
creates more need for enforcement of accessibility standards.

As we move to mobile I see it happening for a third time around, and today
we are really immature at validating accessibility of mobile products due to
lack of reliable relationship of coding to screen reader rendering, and lack
of on device testing tools to resolve this gap.  Not only are we immature in
this arena, but the number of apps is greater than ever before.  Nice thing
is generally each app is a bit less bulky than, say, Microsoft Office suite,
but still all take a lot of work to evaluate and work with developers to
remediate when accessibility gaps are found.

Learning how to do graphical desing independently is a critical skill for
today's blind coders, but won't be taught in college courses.  You'll have
to seek out what worked for others yourself, and learn by trial and error.