[gui-talk] Optical Recognition of pdf image files

Louis Maher ljmaher at swbell.net
Fri Jul 25 09:21:38 UTC 2014

Thank you Humberto.  I will try this.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone 713-444-7838
E-mail ljmaher at swbell.net

-----Original Message-----
From: gui-talk [mailto:gui-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Humberto
via gui-talk
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:17 PM
To: Curtis Chong; Discussion of the Graphical User Interface, GUI Talk
Mailing List
Subject: Re: [gui-talk] Optical Recognition of pdf image files

There Is a resource called RoboBraille, which is a web interface tool that
you can upload files and convert them into accessible formats. It will even
take images of PDF files and JPEG files that have text in them, and do OCR
on them. the quality of the OCR is quite exquisite and comparable to many
big-bicks-paid blindness solutions out there. so if you have time, try going
to this web site: http://www.robobraille.org/ You can just upload the file
(it takes several stages, during which your screen reader will update its
screen and page frames), but the resulted accessible file is emailed to you
straight to your inbox.
Given that you just would like to review the form, and don't want to update
anything, it would be a viable solution, but like others have said, filling
out forms on PDF files with images and converting them to the most
accessible format won't do you no hurt but will do so to any privider that
needs the information as it will probably impugn the layout of the form and
that is not good. but if you just want to read the information, try the
above mentioned site. Tkae my word for it, it works just brilliantly. I've
used it many times myself even for my school assignments that happened to be
just in inaccessible print.