[gui-talk] Optical Recognition of pdf image files

Hoffman, Allen allen.hoffman at hq.dhs.gov
Tue Jul 22 11:45:51 UTC 2014

Form 990 from where?
I'd look in to the source and find out if you can get accessible version.

Frankly scanning a form would generally be a terrible way to get it completed as the recognition will be insufficiently accurate, layout will be compromised, and as far as actually fillable would be questionable over all.

If you have no alternatives you might actually get someone to help with the form personally as last option to get the task done for short term, but longer term you should be pressing someone for accessible form.  Most of the time forms are not something you do for fun so they are not optional and therefore people are putting an inaccessible item as an obstacle for you to handle and you can push back for equal access.  I'm sure on this list this isn't news, but generally you are stuck with telling the source you need accessible version--yep, takes extra time from your day but that's just the reality we live with.

Anyway good luck.

Allen Hoffman
Deputy Executive Director
The Office of Accessible Systems & Technology
Department of Homeland Security
202-447-0503 (voice)
allen.hoffman at hq.dhs.gov

DHS Accessibility Helpdesk
202-447-0440 (voice)
202-447-0582 (fax)
202-447-5857 (TTY)
accessibility at dhs.gov

This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain sensitive and legally privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please reply immediately to the sender and delete this message.  Thank you.